ViewFinder Photography Forum

General discussion - our photography living room. Talk about aesthetics, philosophy, share your photos - get inspired by your peers! Moderated by another view and walterick.
ViewFinder Forum Guidelines >>
Introduce Yourself! >>
PhotographREVIEW.com Gatherings and Photo Field Trips >>

Thread: 13,036 Pictures

13,036 Pictures

I found out how to look at the total images on my D70 and discovered to my surprise that I've taken 13,036 shots since I bought it a year ago in May.

I think there are a few ways to look at this. One is economic. 13,036 shots divided by 36 per rolls would have meant that I bought 362 rolls of film. Film and processing costs would have been $3,620, assuming $10 a roll for film and processing (which is a little low.) Of course, I figure I was printing 4 to 16 rolls a month with film, for 48 to 172 a year, so I shot maybe twice up to maybe eight times more with digital. I've spent maybe $400 printing digital pics since I bought the D70.

From an artistic standpoint, I certainly got better, but one thing I've gotten a little worried about lately is the non-permancy of it. I looked at a photo album from the year before I went digital and realized I just don't have that anymore. What I do have is many, many files, 80% in logical folders, and a whole bunch in a "temp" folder.

Anyway, just thought I'd share and see if others could realte.

Re: 13,036 Pictures

Lava,

I am only up to about 8K but feel the same way about the albums.

When my son was 1st born until he was about 4 we have albums upon albums to look at an remember that stage of his life.

Since we went digital I have essentially stopped printing out photos for albums but have tons on the computer. It really isn't that fun to gather 'round the computer and remember as it is to cozy up with my wife and a couple albums.

I actually just yesterday went and purchased 10 rolls of good old reala! It may cost more in terms of $$$ but not in terms of memories!

Thanks,
    Wes
    Wes

Who are they, where are they, how can they possibly know all the rules?

Pentax Forum Moderator

I must be a little different in my thinking, but my family and I have tons of albums that sit in the closets and storage bins and are maybe looked at every few years...but with the almost 20k pics I've taken in the past 3 years with my Kodak p/s...we are constantly sitting around the computer at family gatherings and I run my slideshows of different events over the past couple of years and as we used to do with printed albums, reminicse(sp). Also, I love getting my grandkids up in my lap and just paging through the pictures and letting them show me different things in the photos, whether it is of the family or just general pics I take. I guess it's all just how you picture your computer...Mine seems to have gathered the family a little closer and given me some extra time and money to spend on all of them.
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Cool So What You're Saying Is...

That the D70 has already paid for itself in just one year! And the memory card, and the computer....

I was ready to buy a D70 a year ago, but I decided against it. The up front cost was a major factor. Camera, flash, memory cards, a new computer...it was more than I wanted to invest, or had available.

I can see the advantages of film and digital. After my last wedding (which was fun, but a lot of work) I understood completely why some wedding photographers shoot digital, burn a CD (or two) and they are done with it. Let the bride and groom make all the prints they want.

But then again, there's nothing quite like Porta 160 NC (or NPH, or Velvia, or...you get the idea), and if my computer crashes or gets a virus, I don't worry about all those photo's I've lost. Which happened to me recently. And yes, I'm burning CD's of my digital photo's much more reguarly now. My film stuff I have burned to a CD when they develop it, so I've got those CD's and of course, the negatives. :-D

It also seems like most guys and gals that get a digital camera start shooting more. Which is a good thing. ;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Print a couple out every time you download

Hey LL,

I don't suffer from the digital paradigm shift. What I do is pick out what I consider to be standouts every time I download my CF card to the computer. I process and print these. These shots are not just (what I consider to be) my "art" shots, but also fun shots of the family, friends, places visited, etc.

Cheers,
    Tim
    (having cake AND eating)
    Samurai #17 |;^\

I don't know how to check my counter (Fuji S2, if anybody knows) but I'm probably in the 8-10k range between that and the Coolpix in 2+ years. With DSLR's, there's very little resale value because the technology keeps changing but I've paid for both several times over. However, if I was shooting film I might not have that many exposures so the savings might not be that great. Factor in all the other stuff (cards, Photoshop, etc) and I wonder if I'm really saving anything.

What I do know is that I can tell for sure if I've got what I want. I don't have to wait a week or so and then find way too many QC problems from the lab. I don't have to worry about not having the right CC filter with me. And I get really nice prints without having to spot the dust off my scans!

The more I learn about digital, the more my frustration level with labs increases...

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Lamp
    I found out how to look at the total images on my D70 and discovered to my surprise that I've taken 13,036 shots since I bought it a year ago in May.
    Ok, for those of us taht don't how do you check your total images on the D70. I'd love to check mine.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

There is a way you can change the counter in the camera to be sequential (ie, if your first folder is DSC1 - DSC100, the next one will start at DSC101) you can do this in Nikon Capture, I think, which I haven't used since the 30 day trial expired. If you have a program that will open EXIF info, like the free IrfanView program (http://www.irfanview.com/), you can scroll down and see the total number of images.

According to Canon my 1D hit 99,737 back in May a week before the Indy 500.... thats a lot of shots in three years and 3 months. It's well over 110,000 now. And think, I have over 300 CD's and DVD's with pictures on them. And thats not counting my previous digital camera. I don't think I'd have that much room for that many photo albums.

JS

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Ah, must get IrfanView then.
    Canon Digital Photo Professional (that, it isn't) doesn't give me a total exposures.

I know on this body it's gone past 0000 again.
    So that's over the 23000 mark since 31/12/2004
    Plus I think 6000 or so on the body that I rejected.

My keeper rate is improving now, from 1/10 when I started with the 20D to about 1/3 today.
    I still find pre-focus limiting in flexibility - as action doesn't always happen on the corner where I focussed on the apex! Because the 20D AF can't quite keep up with race cars I still get soft shots.
    But far less than I used to as I learn to work around the limitations.

I'm now on my second 250GB external hard drive for archives and need a third because the 250GB internal is nearly full again. Plus innumerable (and unindexed) DVDs of the RAW image files.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information