Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar

Wein Peanut Slave

hey guys!

I recently bought a Wein Peanut Digital Slave that plugs directly into my Vivitar 285hv. I want to use my 285 as a hairlight. I put new batteries in the 285, and started testing the set-up. The Wein was not firing the Vivitar when I fired my two B800's. So I turned off the B800's and fired my 550ex flash mounted on my 10D. Then it worked! GEEEZZZ!

So, it looks like the Wein only 'sees' a preflash and flash from my Canon flashes. Well, I thought that all flashes would fire the slave.

Also, as I was testing the slave with my Canon 550ex, I noticied that it was a bit inconsistant. I was within 20 feet indoors, and in plain sight, and the Slave wasn't firing 100%. I was moving side to side, testing different angles, and was getting a bit frustrated.

I've already contacted B&H and have gotten a return #. Should I go ahead and return it?

Do I have a lemon? Or is there something that I'm missing on the Digital Series of Wein Peanut slaves?

Thanks!

Kathy

Hey Kathy,

I have been using the "conventional" Wein slave with Vivitar 285's for several years without a problem. My assumption is that the digital preflashes are so instantaneous that it does not effect the timing with the slave.

Here is a link:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...u=62712&is=REG

-Dave-

return it - something isn't right there.

A loooong way from 1000! Cowgirl's Avatar
    I emailed Wein and they sent me a very fast reply...Here goes!

The Wein Peanut Digital Slave ONLY fires when it 'sees' the second flash. A regular Wein peanut fires when it 'sees' all first flashes.

SOOOO, since I wanted a hairlight (Vivitar 285/slave) with my B800's in my tiny studio, I guess I'll get a regular peanut.

I'll keep a Digital Slave for use with my 550ex & 420ex so it will 'see' Canon's pre-flash.

Since this one was not firing 100% within a 20 ft radius (inddor) I will replace it with another, and get a Regular peanut for use w/ my B800's.

Kathy

Thread Information