Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Ring Lights ???s

Does anyone know anything about ring lights? Especially for fashion/glamour applications... I like the effect that they give but they're so expensive since the real ones require you to buy a powerpack setup = $2000 minumum... as far as I know there is no Monolight style ring light. Will one of these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=352442&is=REG suffice?
    -Alan
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Re: Ring Lights ???s

Check Calumet Photo. They have a ring light that is used with a monolight. It's still expensive. They are a little over $800. and then there are the accessories. They are worth the money for what they do. Beautiful light but a little pricey for me. Here's a link to their site.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?ac.u...light&x=19&y=8

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Norman...

Alan,

One of the best values in a full size (not macro) ringflash is the Calumet model designed to go with the Norman 200 and 400 battery packs.

It's listed on page 2 of the link JCPhoto1 posted...

This flash/battery combo is very portable and yet has tremendous power. Full power, undiffused flash is probably (depending on ISO) f/22 or higher. The battery is variable power, so you can sacrifice output for much quicker recycling times.

If you use the 400 battery pack, you're probably good for hundreds of flashes between rechages.

Total cost should be well under $1000, which yes in my book is still pricey, but considering the alternatives, not too terrible. Keep in mind this a completely manual system.

BTW, a photog friend of mine has gotten very good results actually using a Vivitar macro ringflash similar to the one in the link you posted. I didn't think it was possible, but he uses it close-up (no more than a couple of feet away for fashion and portraits) with a wide angle lens and wide open aperture. So, you might consider something more budget priced like that (maybe rent one first) and try it out.

This recent shot of model Robert Pate was lit with the Calumet/Norman unit...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Norman...

Steve thanks, I just found the Calumet/Norman unit after reading the first response to this post so I'm glad to get your feedback... I wish it worked on a turbo Battery but $1000 is still cheap compared to the powerpack options.
    www.DigitalMTB.com
    www.alandavisphoto.net
    "There are no honorable bargains involving the exchange of qualitative merchandise like souls, for quantitative merchandise like time or money." -William S. Burroughs

Thread Information