Photo Critique Forum

Please post no more than five images a day and respond to as many images as you post. Critics, please be constructive, specific, and nice! Moderated by gahspidy and mtbbrian.
Featured Photo
Photo by hminx

Photo by hminx
Featured Photo Archive >>
By posting on the Photo Critique forum you agree to post only your own photos, be respectful, and give back as much as you receive. This is a moderated forum and anything abusive or off-topic will be removed.

Star trails, northern lights - and more kayaks

Here's a shot from my recent week in the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior. Short version of the story - started the 8 hour drive on Friday night and got out on the water early Saturday morning. After an 18 mile paddle to get here, we were pretty exhausted and fell asleep about 7:00. At about 3:00 the next morning, I saw the northern lights and shot a few frames.

Provia 100F, several minutes (was it 8 or 15?) at f2.8.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Star trails, northern lights - and more kayaks-apostlesaurora.jpg  

Must have been a great trip.

This must have been a great trip and an experience to remember for a long time. This type photo always gets my attention. Love the star trails and the way the reflected light brought out the canoes and long exposure gave the water a very soft feathery appearance. Nice job.

Nice shot. The star trails are nice but I wonder how this photo would look with a shorter time exposure to show more character in the water (as opposed to the soft surface effect). It may also be a sharper shot as this one seems a little soft on my monitor.

Wow.

I am so impressed by the detail and shape of the water, the light reflected, the kayak and the stars, well I guess I am impressed by the whole thing.
    What a shot!!!!

VillenaDeCorte

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    Here's a shot from my recent week in the Apostle Islands on Lake Superior. Short version of the story - started the 8 hour drive on Friday night and got out on the water early Saturday morning. After an 18 mile paddle to get here, we were pretty exhausted and fell asleep about 7:00. At about 3:00 the next morning, I saw the northern lights and shot a few frames.

Provia 100F, several minutes (was it 8 or 15?) at f2.8.
    Twitter
    Facebook
    Blog

Art is always and everywhere the secret confession, and at the same time the immortal movement of its time.
    - Marx

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I forgot to mention that I did a little "paint with light" with my LED flashlight on the kayaks so they would show up on film.

Tuna, I do agree that it's a little soft. Of three shots I took, one was softer (bumped the tripod?) and one was a little sharper and showed the northern lights better, but I didn't like the composition much. I should have either weighted the tripod down on the sand beach or pushed it down into the sand harder, that would probably help.

I have to disagree about the shutter speeds though - it would take about 1/30 to get detail in the water and remove any possibility of camera shake. It was taken at 3:00 a.m. so there wouldn't be anything on the film ! I appreciate your ideas though.

Steve...

I don't feel I'm worthy to critique this shot. As far as I'm concerned it's way beyond anything I could aspire to. I'm gonna aim for a shot like that my whole life, then I could die happy. LOL
    ~ Kit

Quote Originally Posted by shesells
    I don't feel I'm worthy to critique this shot. As far as I'm concerned it's way beyond anything I could aspire to. I'm gonna aim for a shot like that my whole life, then I could die happy. LOL
    ~ Kit
    Naah - all it takes is a tripod, cable release - oh, and coffee helps too. A bubble level on the camera is pretty important too because it's hard to see everything in the viewfinder and I have several I've taken in the past that I thought were level! I use a hot shoe mount type.

Penny, thanks for the comment. I actually had to clone out some spots near the right that were made by me, apparently a little careless with the flashlight. I could probably clone those other spots out too - didn't think about it.

Thread Information