Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question Starting Photo Studio

I am required to do a senior project to graduate this year. I am learning about starting a photo studio. If anyone has any information it would be extremely helpful. I am risking failure of high school because I cannot find any local photographers who will put forth the time to answer my questions. I would appreciate any information. Thank you!

Questions:
    What type of camera(s) and systems do you have(Lights, backdrops, props, etc.)?
    How much would you estimate that you paid for each of these things?
    Do you shoot in digital or film?
    What do you feel the benefits are of using the form that you do?
    How large is your studio?
    Is location important for a photo studio, or is it more advertising?
    Did you need to fill out any government forms before you were allowed to start your business?
    What were they?
    Is there a large demand for photographers in the area, or is the area flooded with photographers?
    Also, where did you attend school and for how many years did it take you?
    What made you choose photography as a career rather than a hobby?
    You said that you do most of your shoots on site, are there any precautions that you must take for your camera when it is hot or cold out?

Re: Starting Photo Studio

maybe if you ask a couple questions each to several different photographers, they'd give you more of their time.

Sorry I can't help, I don't have a photo studio.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

Seems like you are asking people here to do your assignment for you.

You need to use the information that you have received during your studies to answer this Senior Project. If you aren't able to do that yourself then maybe you shouldn't be graduating. I'm certainly not going to hold your hand and answer your assignment questions for you, especially seeing your first post, this one, is your only post and no contribution to these forums from you at all.

If you are doing a Senior Project to Graduate, who has been doing your work for you up until now.

Sounds hard of me, but seems to be maybe close to the truth.

The information you are seeking is pretty straight forward, use the grey matter in your skull type of answers. This is information you would have learnt in the course you are doing, surely over how long a period ????

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Seems like you are asking people here to do your assignment for you.

You need to use the information that you have received during your studies to answer this Senior Project. If you aren't able to do that yourself then maybe you shouldn't be graduating. I'm certainly not going to hold your hand and answer your assignment questions for you, especially seeing your first post, this one, is your only post and no contribution to these forums from you at all.

If you are doing a Senior Project to Graduate, who has been doing your work for you up until now.

Sounds hard of me, but seems to be maybe close to the truth.

The information you are seeking is pretty straight forward, use the grey matter in your skull type of answers. This is information you would have learnt in the course you are doing, surely over how long a period ????
    Actually Peter, I am not asking anyone to hold my hand through this assignment. My job was to find a mentor, someone with expertise in your subject, to help answer the following list of questions, which was compiled by my senior project advisor and I.
    The senior project goes as follows. I am to meet with my advisor to make a list of questions which would be beneficial in helping me find the information neccesary to compile a report on the given subject. Therefore, this is the first round, I am not asking for anyone to do my work, all I want is a simple interview with a professional. After I recieve answers to the following questions, I am to return to my mentor to discuss the information learned, and the character of the people in the field of study, which thus far, seems to be lacking. I then begin an internet and library research session.
    Please, if anyone is willing to take 10 minutes to answer the above questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Now there is more info on what you are looking for you might get more input from people here.

If what I said seemed hard it was meant too and has ellicited more information regading this project out of you.

What are you doing at college course wise ?

The Character of Photographers has always been a guarded one, especially from Professionals, as they see people asking the questions like you intitially posted as being of a nature to maybe setup business near them and starting to impact on their business. Which at times unless you are a well established photographer can be very difficult and limiting in clientelle. Hence their guardedness to answer questions of this nature.

I think you understand now where my initial post was comming from. I'll try and answer some of your questions but not in great detail as I can't.

This is a huge question and is relative to the amount of money one has to start up with. It can range from $20 to $50,000 depending on what areas of photography you are getting into. But initially a startup cost of $20,000 would be a place to start.

Usually two cameras minimum would be used as would several lenses similar to Canon "L" class lenses if the photographer is serious about their work.

Lights range in price from several hundred $$'s to thousands of $$$'s and again is subject to the needs of their business. Probably start with at minimum a 2 head light system.

Backgrounds and props again relate to what the photographer is doing and where they are doing their photogaphs. If in a Studio then several backdrops would be needed and you would be looking at maybe upwards of $2,000 there and a couple of hundred to $1,000 for extra light stand background stands etc.

How much would you estimate that you paid for each of these things?

See above.

Often both are used. Digital or Polaroid to see the setup works and then film if that is the preference of the client and the photographer.

What do you feel the benefits are of using the form that you do?

Film has better colour depth over Digital, Digital is instantaneous feedback.

My Studio is the size of a bedroom or medium lounge room as I work from home. But these can go up to huge sizes, often 20 x 10, 20 metres.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you do portraiture, sure location is important, but if you do cars, industrial, outside work then not as important. Although ease of getting there and parking is important aspects to consider. Advertising can work well depending again how many are doing the same, but word of mouth is probably the most effective.

Did you need to fill out any government forms before you were allowed to start your business?

Of course you do, but there are many that don't

What were they?

Business registration and Tax forms

Is there a large demand for photographers in the area, or is the area flooded with photographers?

This depends on the area, but my opinion would be generally yes, but are they as good as each other. That is the big thing about photography, good photographers get work but there are a lot of cowboys in the industry as well.

Didn't, am self taught and always learning

Photogaphy is more of a Hobby to me as I develope my skills further.

You said that you do most of your shoots on site, are there any precautions that you must take for your camera when it is hot or cold out?

Yes be aware that cameras are subject to condensation in extreme weather changes and you need to address that. Batteries might not work, lenses fog up, water might get inside the electrics of the camera this way as well. Let things aclimateise before using them. If something does happen with the camera or equipment address the issue as fast as you can to protect it.

I hope that helps and it was longer than 10 minutes.

Hi
    I have a studio and will try to answer some of your questions from my point of view. Then I will have to kill you. oops sorry I guess we can tell some of our secrets. Here goes.

Questions:

I use a Nikon D2h ($3400.) and though it only has a little more than 4MP but it is fine for 8 x 10's and I have Genuine Fractals($100.) if I want to enlarge. I use a Nikon 85mm 1.4 lens ($800.) for portrait work. I use 2 Calumet Travelight 750's ($500. each) and 2 White lightning 800's ($400. each) mono lights with Pocket Wizard remote triggers($350 a set). A Calumet heavy duty background stand($125.) and about 6 different colored backgrounds( $50. to $175 a piece).

I only shoot digital. It's better for me because you can get instant feedback with instant control of white balance and exposure. The only thing is you have to expose dead on. I make sure I'm not off by even a 1/10th of a stop to guarantee it's exposed properly. Digital is unforgiving with exposure. A lot of people will tell you you can be off and correct in photoshop but I like to get it right the first time and do minimal post processing.

I have two rooms. One is 10 x 12 and the other is 18 x 30.

They are both important.

What were they?

You have to file and fill out all the tax forms and register with the city if they require it. Then keep tax records . You need all the business forms too like release forms and such.

I live in Chicago so yes the area is flooded with photographers but word of mouth and effective advertising helps to level the field.

I took local college courses but mostly self taught myself. The internet and local book store are a wealth of knowledge. Like Peter said use your brain and dig out the info. It's there but takes a lot of work to absorb. I focused on studio photography and have spent years just trying to learn all I can to be a professional. I'm still learning and don't think I'll live long enough to learn it all. That's why I like photography. It's the journey not the destination.

I would like to think I'm an artist but I can't draw a straight line so I figured photography would be a perfect way to create art with my limited brain capacity.

Hope this helps. Next time you post we better see some pics' you shot. Good luck!

I came across this information about what kind of backdrops you might want to use:
    If you are new to photography or backdrops in general, you might be a bit confused when you go to all of the various websites and contemplate ordering a backdrop. This website is designed to help you make an informed decision as to which type of backdrop would best suit your needs. Along with discussing the merits and pitfalls of muslin and canvas, we will addres some of the other mediums for backdrops as well.

Muslin backdrops are made on "muslin." The term muslin is used lightly, because there are several different weights and weaves. Some muslin has some polyester in it, and other muslin is completely cotton. There are some really good cotton/poly blends of muslin and it has less shrinkage. The average muslin is going to feel somewhat like a bedsheet, A good muslin is slightly heavier, and has a denser weave (less transparent.) Both of the 50/50 blend, and the 100% cotton muslin that Signature Backgrounds use are of a high quality dense weave. You will be happy with either one. I stick with the 50/50 because it's less expensive, and I can't tell much of a difference between the cotton and the 50/50 anyway.

Muslin will wrinkle a bit, but you can mist it with water or a Wrinkle releaser spray (Downing has one.) and the wrinkles fall out pretty well. You can gather or bunch the muslin when hanging it so that it has a draping effect. SB sells clamps that work well for this. A muslin has a casual soft effect for a photograph.

Muslin is easier to transport and takes up less space than a canvas in your vehicle. Since it is lighter wt, you can hang it to a wall, or doors to create your backdrop, however, it looks more professional to use a muslin hanging system. SB has a variety of these to choose from (ranging from about $110 to $240, the more expensive they get, the larger backdrop they hold, and the more stable and weightier the stands.) Like I said, though, the system is not necessary.

SB sells some muslins that are painted to appear more formal than the traditional mottled muslins. Their Standard and Two sided muslins are designed to be hung straight and appear more like a canvas. The trick to avoiding any wrinkles appearing in your photograph is to keep your subject a good 2-4 feet in front of the backdrop.

A Canvas is painted on Stretched, primed canvas. It cannot fold and must be stored on rolled up on a dowell of some sort. Canvas will last you a long time if you care for them properly, however, I've seen a great canvas get ruined because I had a tripod laying on top of my canvas in the car for a few weeks (Unknowingly). It created a rippling, wrinkled part throughout most of the backdrop.

For in my studio, I like to have one main, large canvas that is always available. I never take it on location because I paid a good thousand dollars for it and I don't want to risk damaging it. But it is solid, and I know that my subjects will always be happy with the finished result. It always looks artist, professional and high quality. It is done in the traditional old masters colors. Very brushy texture with the main color creamy browns, and the center has some blue, cream and a rusy color. It is a very classical look.

For High Key portraiture, photographers have a couple of options. Either white muslin or white paper. The advantage to muslin is that you can wash it if it gets dirty. Paper must be torn off, and although you can purchase long rolls of it, you need to continually be replacing it. The downside to muslin is it is harder to light. You need to blast it to get that high key fantasy look, whereas paper is a bit more reflective and a little bit easier to light. Either way, when shooting high key, you WILL have to light your backdrop.

For Low key, black, you can use either muslin, commando cloth, or paper. I don't really even consider paper, because I don't want it to be reflective at all. The black muslin that Signature Backgrounds sells is dense enough and non reflective, so that I can get a deep black as night look with it pretty easily. If I am in a situation where I have a window or a lot of light behind my backdrop, I go to the commando cloth. It doesn't allow any light to show through, even when I'm in front of a south window. (It's more expensive than the black muslin, though, and in most cases the commando cloth is overkill.) It will darken a room if you cover a window with it.

https://www.backdrops-photography-backdrops.com

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Are you actually starting the studio, or are you just putting together a business plan?

I don't do any studio work...yet, but it is in the plans as soon as the budget allows for it. If you're interested in pricing information for equipment you would want for your studio, I can give you a few good links. Alienbees (www.alienbees.com) provides good strobe units for low cost. Calumet Photo (www.calumetphoto.com) and B&H (www.bhphotovideo.com) sell pretty much everything you might need. If you need to get accurate pricing informaton, these sites would be the best place to go.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

well if you want to paint your own muslins
    trying buying some from www.primomart.com

I highly recommend getting backdrops from www.aurabackdrops.com. When you are starting your studio you probable need about 5 backdrops. The price would be around $200 a piece. Good luck.

Thread Information