Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Radio Slave Action

Did a whole day with the radio slaves and some really good riders, this weekend. I think I'm starting to understand how to use them well. For this photo, I had my 550EX flash, on a tripod, about 15 feet away from the subject. I metered the flash with my Gossen, metered the ambient with the camera, and set the exposure for 1/250th sec @ f/4, and ISO 400. I think it came out great. Of course, it always helps to have a good rider.

Incidentally, when I was in Las Vegas for PMA, I dropped my 550EX on the floor and it doesn't work right anymore. So I bought a new one last week. If I can get the broken one fixed, then I'll have two flashes. I'll be able to use my radio slave to trigger one and then the built-in IR on the 550s to trigger the second one. That will make my outdoor flash setup really powerful. I'm psyched to be able to start getting some fill light as well as the one key.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Radio Slave Action-kayle_redwood.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Jealous

Jealous because I won't be able to wear shorts for another month or so. But also because you get to work with radio slaves.

Like the idea but there are a couple things that jump out at me. The light from the flash seems too low. It almost looks like it is cutting across directly from the side. Also, the light is hard and a bit too hot. This all acts to make the flash too obvious in the photo.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yeah, it's nice being in California. The one thing that might make you feel better is that there's tons of poison oak where this photo was taken. That's one of the prices we pay for the good weather, I guess. I get the oak almost every time I go to this place.

I understand what you're saying about the quality of the light. But generally, radio slave photography has a certain look. You could almost say there's a radio slave aesthetic. It's not supposed to look natural. But I would like to soften it a bit. The second flash will help, and I'd also like to try some soft boxes. But in the end, this is pretty much what I wanted this to look like and I'm very happy with it.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

What about an umbrella

You know Steve and I were talking about using strobes outdoors and we totally agree that we like the flash look used outdoors. I even like it when it overpowers the daylight. Something totally sureal about it.

How about using a brolly to soften the light? I like softboxes more for their directional nature and greater control but an umbrella in this situation may work. Plus easier to set up.

Nice to see some action on the studio forum.

Dennis
    "Foolish consistency is the hobgobblin of little minds." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information