Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Portrait Photography Newbie, best light kit???

I've been a outdoor photographer for years, but now I'm wanting to get into portrait photography. I have no clue on what kind of lighting kit to get. From what I can tell, probably a 3 light kit would work well, 2 umbrellas or softboxes? and one backlight.

I like the JTL TL-480, it's right in my price range, but I know nothing of it's quality, power and how it interfaces with my Canon 20D. Will it work with a sync cord? or do I need a remote transmitter?

Any info would be helpful or any other light kits that are better. I need it to be portable too.

Thanks,
    Greg

Re: Portrait Photography Newbie, best light kit???

Quote Originally Posted by ggarman
    I've been a outdoor photographer for years, but now I'm wanting to get into portrait photography. I have no clue on what kind of lighting kit to get. From what I can tell, probably a 3 light kit would work well, 2 umbrellas or softboxes? and one backlight.

I like the JTL TL-480, it's right in my price range, but I know nothing of it's quality, power and how it interfaces with my Canon 20D. Will it work with a sync cord? or do I need a remote transmitter?

Any info would be helpful or any other light kits that are better. I need it to be portable too.

Thanks,
    Greg
    My standard answer to this question is to get just one light and an umbrella to start. You will also need a flash meter. Learn to use the one light and after you become comfortable with it add equipment as you feel the need for it. For instance, after learning to use the one umbrella as a main light, you might want to add a second for a fill light, then a third for the background light, and a fourth for the hair light, etc. DON'T GET THESE ALL AT THE SAME TIME! If you get these all at once you will be overwhelmed by all that is going on and the learning curve will be much longer. By using one light, you should get results that you are happy with in just one or two sessions. With a full set of lights you might take several months until everything comes together.

Make sure that whatever equipment you get has output settings of full, half, and quarter power. That it has a modeling light. If you focus manually a bright modeling light is a big plus. My equipment comes with 150 watt modeling lights and I can use 250 watt bulbs if I prefer. I find that 75 watts is too dim for me to focus by. Everyone is different on that point.

Meters: Gossen, Minolta, and Sekonic make good meters. The others seem to be of lesser quality.

Thanks for the info, Packard!

Do you have any suggestions on which light mfg I should go with?

Thanks,
    Greg

I here www.alienbees. com is a good one
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

I have used the interfit 300i for studio sessions. You can see some pictures in my gallery fotograf they charge a bit slowly, but the are good.

Best regards

Carl

fotograf

Thread Information