Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question Low cost Lighting needed

I am working on a severly low budjet. I need to know the least expensive way to produce good studio type lighting that is easily mobile. I have been looking at this set up but have no clue.====This complete kit includes:
    1. Two strobe lights.
    2. Two 7 feet light stands.
    3. Two 36" umbrellas.
    4. Two A/C swivel adapters.
    5. One 10' PC sync cord.
    6. One Carrying Bag.

The Master strobe has a guide number of 55 (Main light) and the Slave strobe has GN of 42 (Fill light). BOTH LIGHTS HAS SLAVE SENSOR BUILT IN ALREADY! So You may fire this set with any flash from your camera OR by the 10' PC Sync cord(included)connected to your camera.
    i was thinking this set up with a steady softlight from above

If anyone can give me some tips and trick it would be great of you.

Re: Low cost Lighting needed

Hi,
    Just a few questions: Do they give the wattage for the strobes? The guide numbers seem a little low-but I'm not sure about that. When I researched and bought my monolight kit, there were watt numbers (though the wattage may not be totally accurate, it's a starting point).
    Also, 36 inch umbrellas are pretty small- but it depends what you are going to shoot. For small subject they would be okay. If you are wanting to shoot people you will need at least 45 inch and 60 or more inch for full length poses.
    Rere

thanks for the info.. i sent you email with other info about it.. maybe itll help you understand what i am needing and asking..thanks for the input... bald11971

found out the watts are 45wt and i can get 43" white umbrellas... is this an ok starter kit or is it junk?

These guide numbers are really, really low. The small pop-up flash in an SLR is about 40, for example. By the time you put this small amout of light thru an umbrella, you'll end up having to use a wide aperture and fast film.

Take a look at a pair of Vivitar 283 flashes - they're big on-camera flashes that can be mounted on light stands with an umbrella adapter (any on-camera flash can be used on a light stand with this). Guide number is 110 - and they're quite inexpensive for the power.

Hi,
    I believe 45Wts are too low to do much of anything. My monolights are each 640 Wts. each, and I should have bought higher powered ones. The guide numbers are much lower than what comes with many on-camera flashes, and extremly low compared to the Nikon SB800 which can be attached to the Nikon digital SLRs.
    If I were you, I would keep looking until I found something more powerful. Try your local newspapers or even some of the photomags for used equipment. You also might try putting an ad in a paper or mag where the ads are cheap and see if anyone responds.
    Rere

Quote Originally Posted by Rere15
    Hi,
    I believe 45Wts are too low to do much of anything. My monolights are each 640 Wts. each, and I should have bought higher powered ones. The guide numbers are much lower than what comes with many on-camera flashes, and extremly low compared to the Nikon SB800 which can be attached to the Nikon digital SLRs.
    If I were you, I would keep looking until I found something more powerful. Try your local newspapers or even some of the photomags for used equipment. You also might try putting an ad in a paper or mag where the ads are cheap and see if anyone responds.
    Rere

what should i expect to pay (ball park) for a basic starter setup?

bald11971,

You haven't said that I can see, what you are going to be using them for. What your photography equipment is.

This info would help a great deal.

Good point, Peter.

Keep in mind, guide numbers and watt-seconds are two different things. I have a (yes, just one so far!) 750 w/s monolight with a guide number of 350. It has enough power for just about anything, although their smaller 375 w/s has a guide number of just over 200 and would be pretty versatile as well depending on what you're doing with it.

Put it this way, in my little bit of experience it's pretty easy to get F11 at ISO100 shooting thru an umbrella at 1/2 to 1/4 power. Obviously there are a lot of factors that affect this, but just a quick example.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    bald11971,

You haven't said that I can see, what you are going to be using them for. What your photography equipment is.

This info would help a great deal.

Didnt even realize caps were on.. Sorry bout that folks and thanks for pointing it out.. i have a canon digi rebel with 420ex and sigma lenses. i usually shoot outdoor and wildlife but i volunteer for free to photograph newborns, challenged kids, people i know and meet that have no money and stuff just to be nice. ( one good deed returns one) i am just wanting to do better and learn more for future projects. i need a workable, easily portable lighting solution that is very low cost or as cheep as i can get because some kids just cant go outside for natural lighting do to health. I just want to be able to make a possible last photo or family photo look good for them and their family. I dont care if its just a couple of metal shoplights as long as i have the right bulbs for them.. ya know, just as long as pics come out decent..
    Last edited by bald11971; 01-29-2005 at 09:36 PM.

Wish you didn't use all caps it is so hard to read. It is also considered to be like shouting over the Internet doing that. Please edit your post to normal caps.

Hi,
    Since a few of us have given you our wattage numbers and talked about guide numbers, you can now go to the B&H, Adorama, etc. websites and find out how much these places are charging. This will give you an idea of what you can get for your money. The sites will also give you a little info into what exactly you get for your money. This will help you determine what may or may not be a good deal when you are looking at used equipment. Good luck!
    Rere

Calumet Photo has a really good sale going on for the next couple of weeks on their Travelites (monolights) which I have. Here's what I bought - the price is the same as usual but it comes with a couple hundred dollars worth of accessories now...

Thank you all for all your input, adviceand replys.. I will be looking around and comparing items with what yal have suggested and mentiond. I really appreciate it all.. thank you!

Thread Information