Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

It's a bird, it's a plane, It's Super Softbox!

Sorry for the strange title.

I am looking for gear to suspend my overhead softbox in mid air. Have a boom stand now, but our company moved and the dweebs in management didn't get me a large enough photo studio. So, can't use a stand. Need to suspend it from either the ceiling or by use of a long bar that can expand to the width of the room and mount to both walls. Obviously need to adjust the softbox to any height. I found something called "DynaTran Studio rail system" on amvona.com, but It seems much more costly than what I was thinking. Our "handyman" staffer who knows nothing about photography suggests screwing an "eye" hook into the ceiling tiles and running a cable through it that would attach to my softbox. I just see disasster all over that one. There must be something out there in between the extremes that will work. Think low budget company with one creative/graphic designer/writer/photographer desperately trying to make this work.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Wall boom...

Welcome TMPDM2etc.etc.etc.,

What you describe is a pretty common problem for folks shooting in tight spaces. Yeah, the jerry-rigged "ceiling cable" sounds a bit risky.

Have you considered a wall boom? It definitely has its limitations, but it might be enough for your needs.

To see one, go to: http://www.calumetphoto.com and type MF6230 in the search box...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Wall boom...

Thanks for the tip

We will definately give it some consideration.

It does have some limitations. Any other options similar to a ceiling mounted system or a bar that extends to two walls?

Thread Information