Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

first curtain sync or second sync

hey folk,
    I was wonder when is the right time to use these setting, let say wedding shoot I might say. I'm kinda curios wanted to get some advise from you all. and thanks for your respond

Re: first curtain sync or second sync

It doesn't really matter unless you want to convey directional motion. You can get good motion blur with first or second-curtain sync. It really makes a difference if you have a subject moving in a particular direction and you want to make sure that it looks correct. Second curtain will fire at the end of the exposure so that the flashed subject is at the front of the blur, with a trail behind, conveying forward motion. But if you just want what you might call "party blur," it doesn't matter. On the other hand, I think you might as well just set your camera for second-curtain sync because then you don't have to worry about it.

I'm curious - is there any reason that anyone would ever want first-curtain sync instead of second-curtain? I can't think of any subject where first-curtain would be preferable.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

John, I'm still a bit of confused. I'm alway used first cur sync, techniclly mean that I'm been wrong all this time using my flash. WOW...
    John, thank you for your reply. I did a google search find out what other thinks about this and from now on I'm going to shoot in second sync. One more things, you know that little button on the 580ex that had an lighting icon and a double arrow just find out what that button does too. see, that show I'm still learning to this days. Thanks a million...
    Last edited by JTcooper; 10-19-2006 at 02:58 PM.

You haven't been doing it wrong. For most photos it really doesn't matter. But since it does for some, and second-curtain sync is the answer, then I think it's best to just set your camera or flash for second-curtain sync and leave it there.

There's definitely lots to learn with flash and lighting. Try switching your flash to manual or using studio lights and see how hard it can really be
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    I'm curious - is there any reason that anyone would ever want first-curtain sync instead of second-curtain? I can't think of any subject where first-curtain would be preferable.
    If you're shooting a night scene with low overall illumination and bits of more intense light (say cars with headlights), first curtain sync gives you the option of placing the "frozen" portion of your shot (lit with the flash) on the outer areas of your frame (for objects moving into the frame).

The "motion trails" of light from the slow shutter would paint towards the center of the frame, and unlike people moving, does not look unatural. You'd use it in a situation where you want to see light trails, but not have them go over (cover) the car...

This is the kind of thing that is hard to describe in words, but if you saw a shot, you'd know what I mean...

Look at page three of this:

http://www.popphoto.com/assets/downl...Techniques.pdf

The second shot of the taxi is first curtain sync, and IMO looks just as cool as the first shot. It's not a question of showing motion direction, but rather painting with light...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Quote Originally Posted by Asylum Steve
    If you're shooting a night scene with low overall illumination and bits of more intense light (say cars with headlights), first curtain sync gives you the option of placing the "frozen" portion of your shot (lit with the flash) on the outer areas of your frame (for objects moving into the frame).

The "motion trails" of light from the slow shutter would paint towards the center of the frame, and unlike people moving, does not look unatural. You'd use it in a situation where you want to see light trails, but not have them go over (cover) the car...

This is the kind of thing that is hard to describe in words, but if you saw a shot, you'd know what I mean...

Look at page three of this:

http://www.popphoto.com/assets/downl...Techniques.pdf

The second shot of the taxi is first curtain sync, and IMO looks just as cool as the first shot. It's not a question of showing motion direction, but rather painting with light...
    thank you for the links Steve, that gave me alot of imfor on how it works.
    as I read on to the next page about dragging the shutter, I did'nt quit get it not to used manual mode in that sittuation, but then to better off in ettl or ttl program. why is that? please help me understance pleaseeeee...maybe I got to re-read that over and over again. sorry for my english is bad

Thread Information