Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.
    Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Fluorescent info?

Hello all - funny seeing me here!
    I'm starting to get a lot of serious requests for paid portraits, so it's time to ditch the Home Depot halogen work lamps and get Real Lights. Of course, the more research I do, the more I get confused and panicky. I'm looking to start out with a single softbox (or maybe two - depending on cost) - and am loathe to spend over $300 on a single light. However, those Westcotts that can take either fluorescent and/or tungsten bulbs sure are sexy. (I've never worked well with strobes so even a monolight is not on my radar at the moment.) Does anyone have any preferences regarding (photographic) fluorescent with a digital? Would I need a filter, or can my WB adjust in-camera? Or would I be smart to start with the expensive but sexy Westcott because of its versatility?

I'm specifically getting requests for headshots, so I do need around 5000 Kelvin so I get enough - I don't want to risk noise, not when my (prospective) clients are paying make-up artists.

Thanks......

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Re: Fluorescent info?

Ahhhh, Megan. Welcome to the Dark Side. We've been expecting you... :ihih:

You might be right about the Westcotts. Are you referring to the Spiderlites? I have a TD5, but I've only used it a couple of times. Still, it seems to be a good compromise between the older halogen "hot lights" and a monolight flash unit.

The Spiderlite is very versatile, as you can use either fluorescent or halogen lamps with it. You also have 3 switches that give you the option of how many lamps light at any one time.

Still, the main advantage of a monolight is that it has so much more illuminating power over continuous lights. It's hard for me to say if the Spiderlite would be enough for your needs.

You should see if you can rent one to try it out...

BTW, I know what you mean about noise and clients. I try to keep my shooting space as quiet as possible...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Co-Moderator, Photography as Art forum megan's Avatar

Re: Fluorescent info?

Gaaaaaaaaaaaah! (I wish I could remember Luke Skywalker's response to Darth Vader when told he is his father, but my geekness suddenly fails me.)

Yes, indeed, the Spiderlights. I'm just freaking a little over the cost of just one.
    That, and then the higher cost of the accompanying (brand name, however, good brand name) softbox. I could get two softboxes for the price on one Spiderlight. Then again, it could be a good investment. So many decisions depending on how many weeks I want to live on the Ramen noodle diet!

Thanks for your help. I've actually got a friend that throws me freelance work here and there, and owns a rental place. Chances are, I could work a rental out with her.

Thread Information