Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Ebay Package, Is it worth bidding?

Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...spagename=WDVW

or

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...ayphotohosting

I have purchased a light package off ebay and I got screwed, for the life of me I cannot get a good shot from these lights. I have asked many questions from all of you and got great answers but still, nothing works.

Would that package work. I am a BEGINNER to studio lighting, and I want something inexpensive to learn with, but something that will produce something nice.

If this package looks like another bummer, what do you recommend.(remember, inexpensive)

Thanks
    Last edited by kitt2121; 07-06-2004 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added another link

Why don't you just buy one GOOD light and a softbox like everyone suggested?

I am not sure what problems you are having, but I suggest you first figure out if the problems lies in what you're doing, or if it's the light. I saw in some of your other posts that the light were fundamentally working, and improvement would have come from light placement and setup, something that YOU are in control of, not something new lights would fix.

Fill me in, am I missing something? What is the main problem you're having?
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Kitt forget both of them, why not look at getting One Alien Bees 800 Head cost of that is $279.95 and get a LGSR Speedring, then get a good softbox and start from there, that is what I am thinking of doing as well.

I looked at the others, first one looks sort of alright, but couldn't see the controls of it and also the umbrellas was kind of small.

Second one, forget it, not enough wattage probably have the same problems you are having now.

I have followed some of your problems but can't figure out what is going on either. Can you post a picture of how you are setting up your lights for a subject, maybe that might shed some light (pun) on the subject for people to see if they can help.

my problem

First off,
    I have tried every combination possible of setup and shutterspeed and aperature.

I do get a good shot, 1 out of 10 or 15. But that is not good enough for clients.

I get hotspots, The exposure will be right on the face but a huge bright spot on the leg.. If i move the lights, then the hot spot is somewhere on the back ground.
    I have never tried to do a group of people because who knows what the lighting would look like in different places.

Here is my website, it only shows the good studio shots www.picturecreations.ca

If I find some time, I will post crappy pics.
    Thanks
    I wish I could afford the Alien Bees that;s what I would buy. I only do photography in my spare time, i actually just started in January. Maybe if I get busier I will make the big purchase.

ill tell you what works for me.i have a JTL320 WS kit.2 -160 ws lights.film i use them full power.dslr i use lower lighting and bounce alot more.i set my shutter at symc-on pentax its 125th,i let camera use aperture of choice.lights are from a rt angle in front, and a side light.hot sho adapter to strobe,other off slave .lights go as close as you can get without being in picture.THIS WORKS FOR ME.
    DIGITAL YOU CAN USE CONTINUOUS LIGHTING WITH SOFTBOX,OR BOUNCE OFF CEILING ECT.THE STROBES WITH AND WITHOUT UMBRELLas.sorry to shout,but anyway you dont put the strobes as close to subject and use very low setting for power.
    a digital doesnt like too much light,start low and work up
    freelance1031@aol.com
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Kitt post the crappy pics as you call them, but also post pictures of your lighting setup that is failing to produce what you want, that way the gurus can see what you might be doing right and doing wrong and take it from there, before you spend anymore money. You obviously do something correct if you get a1 shot in 10 right, so what is it about that particular shot that fails in the others.

Lighting is a bit scientific and from what I have read, comes with lots of practice, practice, practice. And then more practice, but yes, having the correct equipment to start with must take some of the angst out of taking pictures.

Thread Information