Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

Question Fabric background suggestions

I do not usually visit the Studio & Lighting forum because of that crazy Steve guy who moderates it. (Hi, Steve! ;) ) Actually, it is because I normally shoot landscapes. Well, that is going to change soon with the birth of my first child... any time now, eek!

Soooo, I would like to ask for suggestions on backgrounds. The studio baby photos I've seen typically have either a black or a white (off-white?) background. I figured I would try each, and see what I have the most success with. Could I go to a fabric store and buy something on a budget that would be suitable? Any ideas? If the fabric store is a stupid idea, then feel free to suggest other sources, but since I am located in Canada, the great deals often available in the US are negated by shipping, tax, customs, etc.

Thanks,

Spike

mjm
    that guy.

Re: Fabric background suggestions

how about some paper background? it is available at just about any photography related store.... i get decent results with that.

(hit refresh to see different colors)

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

How about king size flat sheets, the kids don't take up all that much room for a couple of years. Do they have BJ"S wholesale, costco of Sam's club there, heck, even K-Mart would be great.

Good luck with the new kid. I still think that being a Dad is the coolest job in the world.

Michael

Go to a fabric store and look for king size bedding sheeting on a roll, that is a good size in width. Being on a roll you can get it cut to the length you want (I got 5 metres) that way I only need to get the wife to sew a little rod pocket at the top and small overlock on the bottom. Now I have a continuous backdrop 5 metres long and about 2 metres wide, which for head/sholder shots is all I need, can even do full length shots as well. This way you can get the colours you want as well.

Seemless paper is a good idea as well, although easily torn and can get wet and destroyed easily that way. Also becomes an on going cost.

Sheeting materials, can be washed easily on a regular basis, yes gets crinkled, but can be steamed out once hung as well, using a good steam iron or steamer as well, like in a shop environment.

Thanks!

Thanks for your help, mjm, MJS, and Peter!

Spike

Thread Information