Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

another flash attempt

Well, the last time I posted was the last time I used the flash, I think. So at least 2 or 3 months ago.

I bought a bubble thingy that goes on it, to diffuse the flash. I didn't want to have to rely on there being a white wall or ceiling somewhere. Aside from looking really odd, I think it worked okay. No harsh shadows, but I still get that pin head catchlight.
    Last edited by adina; 04-04-2006 at 10:06 AM.
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

More info please...

Adina, the shots look real good. I'm curious to your exact setup, though...

What flash are we talking about again? And what kind of diffuser are you using? Also what is the light placement, direction, and distance?

Oh, and what was your exposure?

Yeah, I know, I know. I'm a demanding one, but I'd like everyone to get in the habit of giving that info in this forum so we can all better evaluate the shot and hopefully learn from it. Thanks..

BTW, you've discovered that there's a direct relationship between the light source size and the catchlights in your subject's eyes. This is often the sole reason a photographer might choose between a large umbrella or softbox. Often the light quality is roughly the same, but the catchlights are very different...

BTW2, you're never gonna get a large catchlight from a small flash, but you might consider using a large white reflector like foamcore in the shot. Depending on where it's placed, it should add to the catchlight...

BTW3, I hope I'm not treading on anything sacred here, but it is the easiest thing in the world to add nice catchlights to any portrait in photoshop.

Start with a seperate layer over the main image layer, zoom in the get a real good closeup view of one eye, use the lasso tool (with NO feathering) to draw a catchlight shape, which is usually a slightly distorted rectangle or umbrella shape, use EDIT>FILL (make sure white is your foreground color).

Now duplicate this layer, select the move tool, and position the dupe layer over the other eye (exact same orientation as the first one). Link the two together.

Now this is the key: lower the opacity of both layers until it looks natural. Having everything on seperate layers apart from the main image means you can use trial and error to change or redo things until they are the way you like.
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: More info please...

more info...

the flash is the 420ex, I purchased a lightsphere from Gary Fongs site. You put it right on the flash, which is right on top of the camera. The flash points up and it comes with a dome-y thing for low ceilings. I was probably about 4 feet from her

Yes, that whole small flash/pinhole catchlights is the bane of my existence. The way that I shoot, it isn't convenient to use something large, but I love the larger catchlights.

These were probably 1/125 and f/3.5, I think. Very close to that if it's not. I set the camera manually, and then set the flash to ttl.

thanks

adina
    Last edited by adina; 04-29-2005 at 03:05 PM. Reason: because I spell like a first grader

Re: More info please...

printing out and saving your catchlight techniques!

For example...

Hope you don't mind, but I just did a quick number on your first shot. The added catchlights simulate a large softbox above and slightly to the left (camera left), and a large reflector panel below and slightly to the right of the little dah-ling. Remember the catchlights need to mimmick the actual lighting.

Oh, and the reason I said NOT to feather the selection with the lasso tool is that real catchlights have pretty sharply defined edges, as the human eye can provide very detailed reflections.

This took me all of two minutes. Opacity of the top catch layer is 25%, the bottom one 20% (in case it isn't obvious, the flash illumination would be greater than the reflector, so the catchlights should be in the same ratio). The trick is to make them subtle, much like the real ones. BTW, I also made sure to black out the original pin catchlight.

Big difference, eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another flash attempt-adina_kid_0429redo.jpg  

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

How's this look to you

only a slight adjustment, just seeing what could be done as well, with the first one. Low res image and you saved as a bmp file (curious as to why you save as bit map file and not jpeg). Let me know what you think will you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails another flash attempt-adinas_girl.jpg  

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: another flash attempt

Geez Steve, that is the kind of PS magic that I would love to have you teach some of my club/class rugrats in Miami. Let us know when you have your next beach shoot.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thanks, Peter, but not sure what you mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    Low res image and you saved as a bmp file (curious as to why you save as bit map file and not jpeg).
    What bmp file are you referring to? All the pics in this thread are jpegs (Adina's original two and my redo post). If you right click on the images and click on properties, you'll see. You sure you didn't convert it when you used save as?

In any event, your version looks good. It has a little more "snap". I didn't bother to do any other edits to Adina's original pic, because frankly, this thread is about lighting and catchlights, not creating the best possible web image or print...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

The new Moderator SPEAKS!...

Congrats on the promotion, Michael...

As for your offer, boy I dunno. Truth be told, I REALLY don't consider myself a ps wiz. I learn just enough to make the darn program go where I want it to go (most of the time, anyway...). ;)

I'm trying to get down to sobe at least once or twice a month now, and I have no doubt we'll hook up on one of our photo projects eventually, whether it's a workshop or the assistant thing I mentioned to you.

I was in town for a shoot this week, but had absolutely no chance to make any side trips. But I promise I'll make time soon to meet with you and talk about things.

BTW, if the Heat do what we know they are capable of doing (and I don't want to say anything specific that might jinx their chances), you can bet I'll be down for the "ampionship-chay arade-pay"...

-Steve

www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Cool, see ya soon. And thanks.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Steve when I right clicked and saved the image it only had an option of save as bmp not anything else, hence why I asked the question.

Thanks all, for the catchlights. This is something I am going to play with, I think it will come in handy.

btw, all my photos are posted as jpgs, not sure why it would come up as bmps....I know when I right click and save something, I get bmps too.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Hey, no fair. Her daughter already has great eyes and the lighting is killer. With the falsies, she's gonna make a bunch of us look bad.

Just kidding!
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information