Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

1 Alienbee or these????

Hello,
    I am a new member and need to get a lighting setup. I am looking at either the alienbees or these JTL's that i found on Ebay.
    Check out this link.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

The Jtl's are 160 w/s as well as are the alienbees. I am doing portraits as well as some weddings. I feel i need this for a upcoming wedding where i have to do a formal shot of both families andthere are at least 30 people!!! Will the alienbee 400 cover this??? Should i just get one 800 and work with that??

I have scoured the rest of this board all night and still need some ansewers. WHat people are refering to as Ebay lights are not these JTL's are they??

Depending on where you are taking the shot and how much extra ambient light there is, will effect how many lights you will need to take a shot of 30 people.

I have read differening opinions of the JTL's, so basically have ignored them in my quest for lighting equipment.

If you are looking at portrait shots, you will need to get at minimum 2 light setup, with either umbrellas, stands etc. So for you I would suggest either at a minimum 2 AB 800's either 2 softboxes or 2 umbrellas, 2 light stands.

If you read some of the other replies in the fourm, you will see people mentioning about the stands and softboxes not being really that good, compared to others like Photoflex Softboxes and Manfrotto/Bogan Stands. The light heads seem to be well respected and others also comment on getting the White Lightning Heads made by the same company as well, because they are better built.

I don't believe that Alien Bee 400 is going to be sufficient lighting for you.

Buyer beware of stuff on Ebay, often sounds good but in reality might not turn out that way. I have purchased stuff off of Ebay, but have also done a lot of checking first as well.

With lights you have to be confident in their use and ability to meet the job.

Other lights to looked at, are Bowens and Hensel light heads, 500 heads might be slightly better than Alien bees, slightly better build and higher modeling light, which is important to consider with larger groups.

I hope that little bit of info helps in some way.

I looked at the lights on eBay and think they would be a waste of money especially for the future. I initialy bought a cheap lighting setup and had to sell it for a loss because it wasn't powerful enough. After a lot of research I found the best lights for studio work that are powerful enough and cost effective are the White Lightning or Alien Bee's. They are adjustable and have fairly good modeling lights to help you see how the light looks before you shoot. They are also well made and don't cost an arm and a leg. I found it was better to buy them new rather than from eBay because on eBay even if used they still go for close to what you can get them new. I personally went with the White Lightning's as they seem to be a little more sturdy but the Bee's are very nice and both are used by pro's who like to use mono lights. I don't think the 400's are strong enough but the 800's seemed to be a better choice for you to be able to use higher f stops. It also gives you better leeway with lighting ratio's. For what you want to do I think Peter is right. Try to get two lights if you can. Alien Bee's ( 800's) are $280. a piece and if money is a problem go with two umbrella's for now as they are pretty cheap. If you have the time go on eBay and there are some very cheap soft boxes that are pretty big and work well too until you can afford better ones. Get the biggest ones you can afford. Actually with a big group it's best to put both umbrella's and lights next to each other on one side of the camera or other. With only two lights it keeps you from creating flat and unflattering lighting and will give some depth to the shot. Some people think a light on both sides of the camera will work but you'll create the same lighting they use when you go for your drivers license picture. Try to keep them away from the background and that will help control the shadows. You might try to get some white foam core board at an art store ( I found some at Jewel foods). They are very cheap and can be used as effective reflectors to increase the light. I hate to say it but a light meter is almost essential. It helps with setting up the shot and eliminates you looking amaturish. It's just a lot faster to get your lighting right with the meter because your subjects won't want to wait around while you keep making test shots. I don't know if your shooting digital or film but digital helps because you can take test shots and correct the lighting from what you see. I know this is probably more of an answer than you asked for but I hope it helps. Again I hope you can find an easy way to get the shot. Maybe see if you can come early and do some test shots before the real thing. That might help too.
    Good Luck
    Jim C.

The Alienbees are GREAT. One 400 won't do it for you, though, unless you're shooting really fast film. I'd use two 800s. Go with umbrellas, not softboxes. A) they're MUCH less expensive, and 2) they're more efficient (less light loss). Softboxes are great when you can get them close to the subject, which you can't do with 30 people in a group.

Don't buy AB umbrellas; they're flimsy, and you can get a good Photogenic (or other) for the same money. I haven't used the AB standard stands, but I use their 13' heavy-duty stands and like them a lot. The only down side is that they're long when collapesed, but what do you expect for a 13' stand? I also have some Bogen 8' stands. They're nice because they're light, but they're not as sturdy as the AB stands.

Good luck!

i use the JTL 320 KIT.they are wonderful lights.for the money,they are hard to beat.i do weddings also.i use them with backgrounds for the best effect.i bought on ebay for under 300.00.i have a indoor studio i use them in,its a small studio,and they are more than enough.if i had alot of money to burn,i would like a large monolight with a battery.this and my sunpak 544 work as a good team.i can email you sample photos if you like.im shooting a pageant portfolio this afternoon.
    freelance2004
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

for 30 people i think you will need more than just 2 strobes.a large softbox on a boom overhead or something,depending how much amb. light is available.maybe to strobes without umbrellas.the two 160 lights will work if you have light available from overhead,like flouresants.or maybe a hotshoe flash and your strobes,this i think will work.my sunpak 544 cranked up,and 2 jtls will work for you.ask around a little more.i think your questions will be answered on this website,its a good one.john does a great job.
    freelance2004
    WHY CANT WE ALL ,JUST GET ALONG!!

Thread Information