Photography Studio and Lighting Forum

Hosted by fabulous Florida-based professional fashion photographer, Asylum Steve, this forum is for discussing studio photography and anything related to lighting.

AlienBee 400s vs. 800s

I am about to buy my first AlienBee lights. Im cheap and therefore would like to buy primarily B400s but am afraid they will not have enough power for the occassional outdoor portrait shoot. At the same time, Ive read on other discussion boards that the B800s are almost too powerful for small indoor portrait studios. Any thoughts? I do about 70% indoor portraits, 30% outdoor,,,usually of 1-4 people.

I'd go with the B800's and if you want hairlight/background then get a B400.

I too have been considering the AlienBees as well, but have got comments from people that the Whitelightning is a sturdier light to get and also the fact the modeling lights adjust proportionally to the amount of studio light that you have selected. That is, if you selected say 50% studio light then the modeling light is putting out at 50% as well for getting lighting balance right.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by NashvilleSteve
    I am about to buy my first AlienBee lights. Im cheap and therefore would like to buy primarily B400s but am afraid they will not have enough power for the occassional outdoor portrait shoot. At the same time, Ive read on other discussion boards that the B800s are almost too powerful for small indoor portrait studios. Any thoughts? I do about 70% indoor portraits, 30% outdoor,,,usually of 1-4 people.
    How do you define too powerfull? I'm not sure what why they would say this unless they're using digicams that only step down to f/8. My 800's with an oct box and placed about 3-4ft from the subject shoot at about f/16. It drops off quickly as you move the box back. I would prefer more (the 1600s); especially for group portraits. I also have a very small studio.

I would go for (at least) the 800's.

Mike

Re: AlienBee 400s vs. 800s

I just bought two alienbees B800s for my small home studio. They work great so far. I'm using them with softboxes, not umbrellas.

Thread Information