Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: photojohn

photojohn

I am going to another hockey game this week. I think you mentioned once a place locally around here (Palo Alto ish area) that rents lenses. Did you have any recommendations? I would like to try something but not spend a fortune on it.

Any particular nelses you would recommend for an N80 for that type of sports event?
    Thanks
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by photo101
    I am going to another hockey game this week. I think you mentioned once a place locally around here (Palo Alto ish area) that rents lenses. Did you have any recommendations? I would like to try something but not spend a fortune on it.

Any particular nelses you would recommend for an N80 for that type of sports event?
    Thanks
    Not PJ but I've shot a handfull of hockey...

An 80-200 2.8, AF-S preferably. If you're sitting really close then the 80mm end will be too close, you might also want to get your hands on a 28-70 or thereabouts. Use a flash, not the built-in one. Meter off the ice to make it white (spot meter, overexpose by 1.5-2 stops.) The flash is to fill in the shadows under the helmets, although if the arena is well lit the ice will reflect real nicely so you may not even need a flash. Bring one just in case.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

How much would you say the 80-200 2,8 lens would rent for approx?
    San Jose arena is pretty well lit. The last gmae I went too using flash didnt really have much affect on it at all...at least from where I was shooting.
    Jared

"My great concern is not whether you have failed, but whether you are content with your failure." - Abraham Lincoln

Is this an NHL game? If so, forget it. NHL doesn't allow lenses that big. Unless of course you figure out how to get them in, but then it's just a matter of time before security starts harassing you. The hassle may or may not be worth it, you decide. If it's a college or lcoal league game the it'll be different, but I'd find out for sure. College games should be no problem whatsoever.

Now for rentals, I have no idea about your area. Around here you have to put down a deposit of the lens value before you can even rent, which in this case would be 1600 bucks or so. Actual rental fee may be 50-75 dollars. Call around in your area and find out for sure. See if there's a Calumet somewhere near you, they might be able to give you some prices to get an idea.

Good luck.
    -Seb

My website

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

NHL game. Last time I was there, the sign at the front door said lenses up to 6.5in in length can be used. I will just have to go to a store and check it out. Thanks for the info tho.
    Jared

80-200 Af-s

Photo 101,
    I'd recommend the same lens that Sebastian did. I didn't know about the NHL having a lens restriction, but I wouldn't be surprised. I think the 80-200mm AF-S lens is 7.5-8 inches long. It might be worth trying to get in anyway, though.

The dealer I told you about is Keeble and Shucat, in Palo Alto. They'll definitely have the 80-200mm AF-S lens for rent. Here's a link to their Web site: http://www.kspphoto.com/

Are you going to the Sharks/Flames game tomorrow night? I was thinking about going and taking my dad. He's from Alberta. I don't feel like spending the money, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Check out http://www.kspphoto.com

http://www.kspphoto.com

This is where I rent, and they have a lot of equipment.
    Loren Crannell
    LC Photography
    Visit My Website

* Any photographer worth his salt has 10,000 bad negatives under his belt. - Ansel Adams

One more thing...

Don't be surprised if some of your shots come out grossly overexposed..sometimes your shot will be timed to coincide with all the strobes going off when the official photogs fire them. It's kind of cool if you ask me...
    -Seb

My website

Yes I am going to the Sharks vs Flames game. B-day treat from my dad.

Last game I went to the didnt actually check my lenses, but they did check to make sure it wasnt a video camera and had me open the bag, but nothing else. Hopefully they havent changed.
    Jared

Thread Information