Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

What's your preferred camera backpack for 400mm 2.8 plus camera equipment?

I'm going to be shooting some college and pro hockey this winter and plan to bring my 400mm 2.8 with me. That means venues with longer hikes from my parking spots and a need for a "contained" system of lugging my wares to and from events. Looking at backpacks and wonder if anyone has any likes or dislikes for models and brands.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve Kotvis
    f-go

www.elemenoP.us/f-go

http://f-go.blogspot.com

Canon 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS D40
    Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 L IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
    Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2
    Canon Fisheye EF 15mm f/2.8
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

Re: What's your preferred camera backpack for 400mm 2.8 plus camera equipment?

I see alot of guys that just carry the 400 2.8 in the big case it comes with at football games. Do you really want all of your gear on your back?!?!? I would really look into the Think Tank Airport Bags. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/catego...mera-bags.aspx They have a built in lock cable so it's easy to attach it to something in the media work room. Think Tank makes some great gear.

They can hold ALOT!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQlu9JFKaHU

Thanks cozmocha,

I LOVE this bag and it is on my must buy bag when I get more gigs where I travel. Thanks for the link. I've seen one like this before but this is a good one too.

My specific need in this situation is to get from my car parking lot to the event, which is often a 1-2 block walk and often through snow where where I don't want to have to roll something through the snow filled streets here in Minneapolis. For that I would like a backpack. Yes, I typically carry about 35 pounds of equipment with me along sidelines, partially because I want the flexibility of using multiple cameras, lens, flashes, tripods, etc.

Steve
    Steve Kotvis
    f-go

www.elemenoP.us/f-go

Canon 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS D40
    Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

I didn't think about having snow (I live in Florida). This bag also has Emergency shoulder straps so you could backpack it when needed. I doubt it makes your back feel good but a nice thing to have. Look at the Features tab.
    http://www.thinktankphoto.com/produc...amera-bag.aspx

I use a Lowepro Computrekker but I don't have anything big like a 400 2.8.

400 mm for HOCKEY? That's going to be way too long and you'll only use shots shot from 200 feet away (the length of the NHL and most college ice sheets OTHER than Mariucci and St. Cloud's National Hockey Center) with that lens.
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Thanks DHMN69,

I agree there will be few opportunities for hockey but I am scheduled to shoot Wild and Gopher (at Mariucci) and plan some goalie shots from some of the upper deck seats. Never learn better unless we try new angles, right? Maybe they'll work and maybe I'll be happier leaving the heavy weights at home.

Steve
    Steve Kotvis
    f-go

www.elemenoP.us/f-go

Canon 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS D40
    Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8
    Canon EF 85mm f/1.8
    Canon EF 50mm f/1.2
    Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8

I'd love to have a 400mm for baseball and football, though the lens cost more than my car..I'd need a rich relative to leave me a bunch of money but the 70-200 is the workhorse for hockey and BBall
    EOS 7D, Canon 24-70F2.8, Sigma 70-200 F2.8 (with or without 1.4 Extender), and posting photos on my website: viewthroughmylens.net

Thread Information