Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Volleyball: Chico State whips Cal Poly Pomona

Here are some shots taken September 14 when the Chico State Wildcats hosted the Cal Poly Pomona Broncos. Chico State won 3-2 with hitter #14 (shown in first and last photos) leading the way with 19 kills. Almost every shot I took of #14 has her with mouth wide open.

All shots were taken with Nikon D700 + 80-200 f/2.8. Exposure was manually set at 1/500, f/4, and ISO 10,000.

When I showed these photos to friends and relatives I got more than one comment about the tight-fitting Bronco uniforms. My son said that I should change my name to Seymour Buns!

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Volleyball: Chico State whips Cal Poly Pomona-7rb_3620_2.jpg   Volleyball: Chico State whips Cal Poly Pomona-7rb_3491_2.jpg   Volleyball: Chico State whips Cal Poly Pomona-7rb_3655_2.jpg   Volleyball: Chico State whips Cal Poly Pomona-7rb_3713_2.jpg   Volleyball: Chico State whips Cal Poly Pomona-7rb_3976_2.jpg  

Volleyball: Chico State whips Cal Poly Pomona-7rb_3827_2.jpg  

Re: Volleyball: Chico State whips Cal Poly Pomona

Love the action you captured especially #1. Any reason your shooting a f4 and not f 2.8 and using a lower ISO? What noise program are you using?
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Larry,

Thanks much. I usually use f/3.5 or f/4 to give me greater depth of field. On most shots I have a hitter on one side of the net and blockers on the other. I like to have both in focus if possible.

I have been using Noise Ninja for a long time. However, I am finding the noise reduction feature of Adobe Camera RAW to be very effective. In fact, after converting my RAW files in ADR and including capture sharpening and noise reduction in the process I am finding little or no noise remaining for Noise Ninja to remove! In case you are wondering I'm not using anything fancy in the way of an image editing program: just Photoshop Elements 10 which, of course, includes ADR.

Bob

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I like #4 and #6 for the capture of the action.
    I thought that the shot would be better as it's hit, but I like #6 a lot ... I think because of the expression on the face of the #14 after the shot.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks, Paul. Facial expressions in sports photos mean a lot.

Bob

Great color and action. Your right...Facial expressions in sports mean so much. I think it can be the photo itself if the action/expression is right.

Great Job
    Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Thread Information