Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Varsity football game

It was an away game, the field they played at was nice. It had a ton of light compared to our home field. I think these pictures turned out better. I used a higher shutter speed 1/250 f/s 2.8 iso 1250 if I remember. Heres a few highlights from the game, our varsity team played really well, they were loosing up until the 4th quarter, then they came back and won 28 to 16. Heres a few pictures.

Re: Varsity football game

Very nice! I especially like your backgrounds in all but one of the shots and I know that there's not much you could've done about that one if as you say you shot it at f/2.8. What lens(es) did you use?

I used a 80-200mm 2.8. I like it a lot.

Nikkor? That's the lens I'm in the market for right now. I shot with a rented 70 - 210mm f/2.8 VR lens last week and it was great, but from what I've read the 80 - 210 F/2.8 AF-D lens is one of Nikon's sharper lenses with great contrast and pretty good bokeh. Ken Rockwell refers to it as a "Best buy in a pro telephoto". I'm hoping to pick up a good used one sometime soon.

Yeah, Its a great lens. We bought one off ebay. You can find some great deals on some used ones. I would defiantly recomened it.

Your shots looks good but the saturation is real strong and bright. Did you do something to boost the color?

Jim
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=7705
    Canon 1D Mark IIn
    Canon 40D w/ Vertical Grip
    Canon 300 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS
    Canon 24-70 f/2.8L
    Canon 1.4 TC
    580Ex
    Monopod

I'd say add a flash, too many missing details like faces the flash will bring those out and improve these a lot. Use fill flash, it should automatically give the correct flash amount. If not then manually set the flash manually. The later is more difficult as you have to change the flash as the players get closer or farther from you, not always easy to do.
    The two below are with flash. The first you can't really tell the flash fired, it just barely gave enough light as they were fairly close to me. The second one they were on the other side of the field and from the grass you can see the flash fired at or nearly at full power. The fill flash mode only uses what the camera senses it needs to get the exposure. This was a pretty dark field, these were shot at 1600 f2,8

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Varsity football game-js074875.jpg   Varsity football game-js074904.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

This one is with flash, 80-200 2.8 from last Friday night. I would love to shoot without flash but until I get a new body that can do at least ISO 3200 (6400 would be nice) with decent noise (D300?) it just isn't doable on the fields here. This shot was at ISO 1600, f2.8, 1/320. with manual flash at 1/4 power. Powering across the goal line for the TD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Varsity football game-tuttle_tdresize.jpg  
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

Thread Information