Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Variety - Snow Kites

I'm not claiming this is a great photo. But it's different. And not being much of a team sports guy, I get bored with the ball sports photos - even when they're good. So I thought I'd toss this in just for the sake of diversity. I took it on Saturday, at Powder Mountain ski resort, about an hour north of Salt Lake City. It was some sort of competition or festival. I only took a couple of photos because I only had my point-and-shoot and was more interested in skiing than taking pictures. But I still kinda like this, if only because it's a curious subject.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Variety - Snow Kites-img_1321.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Re: Variety - Snow Kites

I think this is awsome....
    Different is good....LOL
    BFiredup
    "The new girl on the block! :blush2: "
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6III
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

Haha, this is good for a break up. It might not be the next great poster, but it's still a cool shot. And aside from that, I never knew the kite surfer thing was done with snow boards too.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

I couldn't tell they were on snow boards until you made that post, but holy cow that has to be one of the safest sports out there, not. I thought that the kites looked pretty cool, wish you would have gotten some closer shots I'm sure if they were using kites to board around that they were doing some cool tricks.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Some were on snowboards and some were on skis. I would have needed an SLR to get photos or I would have had to go out there. And that would have meant some serious hiking. And I am no willing to hike for snow kite photos. It might be fun, but I tried to take kiteboarding photos once and became an instant non-fan. It's no good for photos because you can't get a good photo with both the person and the kite in the same image. Blah. I'm also sort of a gravity sports snob and I don't like how they use the kite to cheat gravity. Kiteboarding tricks look more like gymnastics to me than action sports.

But what the hell. It was there and I had a camera. I had to take some pictures, right? If I'd had the Olympus E-3 - my SLR for the day - I would have taken some better ones. Maybe next time. Maybe not :P
    Photo-John

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

If you were doing a picture story on this sport, I would think this would be a photograph you'd want to include in it. It's an interesting photograph, it's just not good enough to hold its own.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by mtbbrian
    If you were doing a picture story on this sport, I would think this would be a photograph you'd want to include in it. It's an interesting photograph, it's just not good enough to hold its own.
    Brian
    I totally agree. Later in the day it looked like they were going off. But they were way out in a powder skiing area. And the powder was all snow-crusted on Saturday. It wasn't worth the effort. Plus, if I wanted to get serious, I also would have needed to go back to the car for the real camera. Bottom line - it was a ski day and not a photo day. Sacrifices were made for skiing and not for photos
    Photo-John

Thread Information