Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Pentax Forum Moderator

Two Shots I got today...

Hi all...here are 2 shots that I got today. The first one is of my granddaughter at her second soccer practice. They were doing crossing drills and everyone got a chance to try to kick a goal and also to be the goalie. This is her turn at goalie...fuhure Mia Hamm??? hmmm...hehe...the second pic is of a neighborhood kid on his motorbike/ jumping some of the mounds in the field behind our home...
    Hope you like them. I shot these using my Kodak 4330 point and shoot on "Sport Setting"
    Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Helmet!

Nice photos, Ken. But I hate seeing photos of people riding without helmets. It only takes a little fall to create permanent damage.

Tell me more about the sports mode on your camera. Does it have continuous auto focus or does it just default to a high shutter speed?

Have you posted a review for your camera? I expect we could use it
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Re: Helmet!

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Nice photos, Ken. But I hate seeing photos of people riding without helmets. It only takes a little fall to create permanent damage.

Tell me more about the sports mode on your camera. Does it have continuous auto focus or does it just default to a high shutter speed?

Have you posted a review for your camera? I expect we could use it

Hi John...I agree with you about the lack of helmet...sad thing is...none of the kids in this area seems to even own a helmet...much less use one...one of the kids across the street just got a bunch of stitches out of his leg for not wearing pads for his stunt bike. All we can do is hope it never gets any worse than that.

As for my camera...I'm not sure I could write "literate" review. The camera itself is over 3 years old and I'm not sure you can even buy it anymore except on ebay or some very old stock that hasn't moved. Although I have taken over 12000 pictures with it, I am actually, thanks to PR, just learning what everything is and how to use them "correctly". For the first couple of years, I only used the "sports" setting because I shake to much for most of my shots. In the past few months though, I have learned to stabilize my shots and have been practicing with other settings. The other settings are: Auto, Night, Landscape, Closeup and Movie. The documentation is pretty poor as far as "photography' terminology goes. Prime example is "White Balance". Unless you practice a lot with the menu, it is really difficult to know how to correct for WB. I usually just use the standard settings and don't mess with anything else...of course, that was prior to my finding this site, I have started venturing around the different settings...but because they really don't use correct terminology, it is hard to correlate the "Kodak" settings to "photography" norms. With all of that said, I imagine a good educated photographer, could figure out the benefits of this camera fairly easily. As for a laymen, out of the box, I love my little p&s. I think the few pics I've posted show the quality of the camera. And let me tell you, I'm not proud of the fact that I don't take good care of this camera. It's been dropped tons of times, mostly by my grandkids who are free to use this camera anytime they want. These children range in age from 3 to 8 and all of them have been able to use the camera within seconds of picking it up...and a few have taken excellent pictures. I cracked the LCD cover (not the LCD) the first time I tried to put it on my tripod. However, the crack has never stopped us from using the camera. Hmmm...I guess I have just written a somewhat review of this camera...hehe...
    To answer your last question...uhhhhhhhhhh????....!!!!hmmmmm....I dunno!!!...hehe...actually, John, I have no idea. I know when I do my pans, I frequently am focused on my subject for quite awhile until they get full frame and I don't refocus...so I imagine it continually autofocus's but I can't verify this. I've thought about it several times...but I have no documention to let me know. Although on some of my pan shots, especially those coming directly at me...sometimes it doesn't focus...
    Thanks for your interest and I really wish I knew more...but I'm sure with PR's site and the help from all the great people I've met here, I will be better at reviewing shortly!!
    Ken

Thread Information