Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Trouble with Cross Country Meet

I was wondering if anyone could help with my problem at cross country meets. This season has been hard to shoot pictures due to the changing light conditions. It goes from sunny to cloudy in the matter of seconds and then my pictures are either under or over exposed. Is there a trick to getting better pictures? Thanks for any help

Re: Trouble with Cross Country Meet

We can help more if you post some examples and tell us what body and lens your using.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Re: Trouble with Cross Country Meet

If you're using manual exposure, no trick more then keeping an eye on your meter.

If you have a Canon then you can use the custom function for "Safety Shift" so that if there isn't enough light then the camera will slow the shutter to expose properly. That allows you to use Tv or Av mode and yet keep exposure when the light changes too much.

I was impressed with the ISO shift on Mike's Pentax, set the shutter and aperture you want, and if the lighting changes the ISO is adjusted to maintain your shutter/aperture. Great for keeping the creative effect at the expense of compromising image noise.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information