Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Tonights BB

Tonights BB

Tonight I shot a game at a brand new high school, this place just opened two weeks ago so the lights are all new and it's an awesome gym, large enough they can lower curtains on both sides of the court and have three seperate basketball courts which is great for practice. But it's so wide you can walk on either side of the court and not get in the way of fans or players. The lighting was great though, I hope I get to shoot there more often!

JS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tonights BB-js081742.jpg   Tonights BB-js081770.jpg   Tonights BB-js081869.jpg   Tonights BB-js081895.jpg  
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Re: Tonights BB

Looks really freaking good....
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

JS:
    Did you use the same settings for basketball as in volleyball?? What great shots.. Great lighting... Nothing like new lites...

Marion

Retroactiv,
    This was at Lapels new school, no more combined Jr high & high school

Marion1060,
    Pretty much, I changed shutter speed depending on my location and the shot, one of those things where you learn to watch the players, the meter and change shutter speed on the fly, these were all between 250 & 320

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Very nice JS! It's a shame that the great new lights won't stay new for long and if the school board there is like it is here, they'll wait far too long to replace them:-( Oh well, that's why experience usually pays when shooting prep sports.
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

Fortunately with the floor being as light as it is it will take longer to really notice a drop, the light walls help as well, and there isn't a dark spot in the gym. There are a lot of lights in this place and keeping up with them will be a chore in itself, but they are growing so I think they will be able to afford lightbulbs for a while....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    Retroactiv,
    This was at Lapels new school, no more combined Jr high & high school

Marion1060,
    Pretty much, I changed shutter speed depending on my location and the shot, one of those things where you learn to watch the players, the meter and change shutter speed on the fly, these were all between 250 & 320

JS
    I didn't think that area was growing that fast, I must be wrong. What a beauty of a gym, I wish I would have had the same luck last night as I shot in Lebanon, it was a dungeon, and there were lights that were so old they were coming on and off themselves screwing with my mind :mad2: and white balance.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Must have been like walking into a dream world. I haven't been in a gym with that good of lighting in a very long time. You made the most of it. Some very nice images.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Wonderful...I wouldn't know how to act with all that light, that is for sure....
    Love the facial expressions....LOL
    BFiredup
    "The new girl on the block! :blush2: "
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6III
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

Quote Originally Posted by retroactiv
    I didn't think that area was growing that fast, I must be wrong. What a beauty of a gym, I wish I would have had the same luck last night as I shot in Lebanon, it was a dungeon, and there were lights that were so old they were coming on and off themselves screwing with my mind :mad2: and white balance.
    ha, you expect us to cater you new guys? heck no, you gotta suffer like we did Just kidding, but it does help you learn (the hard way) how to shoot in various conditions

JS
    PS: next year we have one brand new school & gym in the county and one "rebuilt" so the lighting should improve here too. at a big hit to my wallet
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer
    Must have been like walking into a dream world. I haven't been in a gym with that good of lighting in a very long time. You made the most of it. Some very nice images.
    Thank you OT, it was nice to be able to see my hand in front of my face for a change I told the editor I want to move there til the new gyms arrive here he didn't fall for it though

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by BFiredup
    Wonderful...I wouldn't know how to act with all that light, that is for sure....
    Love the facial expressions....LOL
    The wasn't the only impressive thing there, the size was too. You could actually move around in that place. I had some other great expressions too, like the AD from the school I covering when he walked in and saw that gym....I think his jaw is sore today from hitting the floor

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    The wasn't the only impressive thing there, the size was too. You could actually move around in that place. I had some other great expressions too, like the AD from the school I covering when he walked in and saw that gym....I think his jaw is sore today from hitting the floor

JS
    His jaws prob aren't as sore as the pocketbooks of the people that had to pay for that wonderful gym ;) . I do wish I had something like that to shoot in.
    Chris Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by retroactiv
    His jaws prob aren't as sore as the pocketbooks of the people that had to pay for that wonderful gym ;) . I do wish I had something like that to shoot in.
    Oddly enough not one person there complained about the cost, they got everything, new school, new football field, new tennis courts, you name it, it's all new.... I did hear some funny things about "moving day" when the kids moved from the old Jr/Sr high to this place, everyone was lost

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information