Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

They finally raced at MIS !

Hi all,
    This was the first race I have ever been to. I never thought I would take pitures of NASCAR, but when I had the chance to go to the race, I thought what the heck. I have no idea of what I am doing, but I took a few.

The start of the race was VERY FOGGY. You could not even see 1/2 way down the track. I was also sitting in the 2nd from last row from the top (what a walk). But I am happy that I went even though it made for a long day (I worked mids, drove 2 hours to the race, left with 30 laps to go, drove 2 hours back and had to be back at work at 3:30pm).

But WOW, now I know why people love NASCAR.....

I have not been able to do much with the pics I took, but here are just a few from a true amature with no idea of what I am doing.

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails They finally raced at MIS !-img_9974prv1.jpg   They finally raced at MIS !-img_0013prv1.jpg  
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Re: They finally raced at MIS !

One more.... This one was the first crash. It happened just after the first red flag (about 20 laps into it). The fog was terrible and I tried to PS it, but I got a little red tint. Not sure how to correct it.

And of course I did not have my polorized filter. I just grabbed my camera and my one lens, hoping I would even be able to bring it in. I have no idea of what they allow, but I just took 1 lens (70-200 f2.8L).

Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails They finally raced at MIS !-img_9908prv2.jpg  
    www.ODMP.org

Not a bad start Phil, nice flames on the 55 :thumbsup:

What software are you using?

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I am using elements 5.0. I am also STILL learning that after 5 months. I am getting a little better, but only at a slow pace.
    As I was near pit lane, I have #20-Tony with flames as well as about 4 others. I just like the little bit of "something different" than just turns. I tried to use different shutter speeds to get some motion blur with the wheels, but I found I was always playing with the settings.
    I also have a few pics of the photogs along pit row. I will post some a little later. When I took them I thought that you might appreciate the photogs getting their pics taken instead of them just taking pics .

Phil
    www.ODMP.org

JS.... just a quick edit in auto smart fix.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails They finally raced at MIS !-img_0050prv1.jpg  
    www.ODMP.org

I may know the guy in the white pants but at that angle can't tell. Sometimes during boredom photogs will shoot each other just for something to do :thumbsup: or to blackmail each other the latter works well in the lunch line at IMS

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Nice pics, thanx for sharing.

Thread Information