Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    MCHSS.net

Team Photo (from dhyravy)

A while back, dhyravy had posted a few "different pics." The one team I shoot for loved the idea and the image - both boys and girls.

The girls went on to win their section in northern nj, so my photo is now on their championship plaque!

Here are the two.

Boys: shot in February at about 3:15 pm. The windows in the gym are painted black, BUT the edges were scratched off enough that I had to do PS work. The gym was BLACK - no lights. We turned on the wrestling spot light and the stood on the back edge. No strobes, no flash. Since I had to photoshop, I blackened the black added a wind touch to the edges of the heads/shoulders. Their black uni's made them look like shorts & heads. They wanted the jackets on. I though the gold on gold would have been perfect.

Team Photo (from dhyravy)-bbb_team.jpg

Girls: Shot at 5 pm in early March. The gym was BLACK. I could not use the wrestling light because the gym was under construction. We went to a corner and shot this along the bleachers. I had to strobe, bouncing off the floor - thinking it would not light up the back wall, only their shoes to faces. You can see I crossed in the middle and should have spread the lights out. The bleachers were so bright that I had to blacken that too.

Team Photo (from dhyravy)-gbb_team_stern.jpg
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel XTi 400D 10.1

Canon EF 300/4L IS
    Canon EF 70-200/4L
    Canon 85mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 85/1.8
    Canon 50/1.4

Sigma 70-200/2.8

Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter

www.MCHSS.com
    www.ELLEandMAX.com

Re: Team Photo (from dhyravy)

Love these shots....the only thing that jumps out at me is on the boys pic. The brightness around there heads....kind of angelic.....Great shots...and looks like a lot of hard work.
    BFiredup
    "The new girl on the block! :blush2: "
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6III
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

Nice job there VinnyC01

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I have to agree, these are some great shots. if you haven't already try and sell these as posters to the kids and parents. I'm sure you could make a couple of bucks that way.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Quote Originally Posted by BFiredup
    Love these shots....the only thing that jumps out at me is on the boys pic. The brightness around there heads....kind of angelic.....Great shots...and looks like a lot of hard work.
    Same here.

Great shots!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Hey Vinny,
    Looks like this worked out well for you. I'm getting geared up to do the team shots for the girls softball team at another area HS. I've got another idea for their shot and I'll post the results after I'm done. Glad to give someone a little inspiration.
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

MCHSS.net

Quote Originally Posted by dhyravy
    Hey Vinny,
    Looks like this worked out well for you. I'm getting geared up to do the team shots for the girls softball team at another area HS. I've got another idea for their shot and I'll post the results after I'm done. Glad to give someone a little inspiration.
    AGAIN - THANK YOU. I did package them in with year-long photo sales. Each Team B&G had 3 games. Senior action photo 20x30 with vignette edge. You can see examples at www.mchss.net (another idea i learned from these forums). JV & Frosh had 1 game (ended up getting 2), and all teams had team photos - all included. Since they had me do extra scouting film and a few other things, including a contract next year, I threw in collages for their seniors - only 6 total.

I am the head softball coach at that school and really would love to see ideas. Shame you are in Kentucky ... I could get you a TON of work here.

ps: I used mpix for my 20x30's ... also added a metallic print to the collages and order all team shots from them and they were outstanding! mpix came recommended to me and I will use them from now on, great prices ... with perfect quality - just an fyi - NOT A PLUG
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel XTi 400D 10.1

Canon EF 300/4L IS
    Canon EF 70-200/4L
    Canon 85mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 85/1.8
    Canon 50/1.4

Sigma 70-200/2.8

Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter

www.MCHSS.com
    www.ELLEandMAX.com

Thread Information