Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Taking action photos in low light.

Hey all,

I'm working on gaining experience photographing horse shows, but I'm running into a problem. Almost all the pictures (except when the horses are standing still) are too blurry to be of a decent enough quality to sell. My question is, what can I do with the camera to give better photographs, or should I purchase a different camera?
    I currently have a Kodak Z740.
    My budget is low, so I really need to know what is available for taking these kind of pictures for a low price.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Re: Taking action photos in low light.

Film might be a better option for you. It will take a high ISO (800 I'm guessing or maybe more) to get apertures and shutter speeds you can use. Compact cameras usually don't do well at all here, and have a hard time keeping up with a moving subject. A digital SLR, with it's larger sensor, will have a much better time at high ISO's but it won't be cheap. I'm not sure that I'd recommend buying a used DSLR unless it's someone you don't know, but you might check out a used Canon EOS 10D. There's a Nikon equivalent, but it's not as good of a camera - look at the newer D70 possibly.

You'll have to add a lens, and it really needs to be a fast lens like an f2.8 zoom. Unfortunately, this isn't a low budget item either...

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

For a low price? Almost nothing digital.
    You'd need a wide open lens about f2, f2.8 and a camera with good low noise at high ISO speed.
    The panasonic FZ20 has a great lens, but still doesn't work well enough in the dark I think.

Film is probably the best bet, as a SLR film camera and telephoto lens can be bought cheaply second hand. Far cheaper than digital.

I got two Olympus OM10 bodies and 4 lenses for £100 a few years ago.
    I don't think they are going to get any cheaper
    Of course they don't have autofocus at that price, but the quality on ISO800 film is great.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by pricklymustard
    Hey all,

I'm working on gaining experience photographing horse shows, but I'm running into a problem. Almost all the pictures (except when the horses are standing still) are too blurry to be of a decent enough quality to sell. My question is, what can I do with the camera to give better photographs, or should I purchase a different camera?
    I currently have a Kodak Z740.
    My budget is low, so I really need to know what is available for taking these kind of pictures for a low price.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Even with setting the ISO to 1600, I have never gotten good indoor arena photos. I have to purchase a large flash or a very fast lense. I have a D70 kit, and purchased a 70-300mm Micro Lense to shoot horse shows. Then I found out it was only good outside of the arena, as it was too long for use inside, found this out during a rain storm. I have purchased a 28-200mm lense to use at the next show but my daughter has not entered in any so far. I have photos from last show I shot at FarmHill posted at: www.aracnet.com/~freygr. You will notice the sharpness of the photos do drop as the weather deteriorates. Yes I did get wet but I was able to keep the camera dry.

GRF

Back in the day when our children were younger, I found that Horse Show situations really frowned on flash as it scared the horses... those Indoor settings with poor lighting were really challenging.

Now, I'm trying to get good shots of small fast moving RC race cars in similar poorly lit indoor settings. And I'm struggling too / still.

Think a full size horse and rider is tough, try a 12" long race car at 20 or 30 mph.

I'm using a Cannon EOS Rebel XSi and very early in my learning curve. One thing I've done is find an area of the track where I like the action and they seem to turn out OK. For example, long distance shots with a zoom are tough, and the drivers dont want me facing them. So I have to get close and use a shorter lens, and face away from the driver's stand.

While shooting on Auto some of the time, with some advice from fellow RC photographers, I'm trying various manual settings such as ISO 1600, and experimenting with the "White Balance" and other settings...

Any suggestions folks might offer would be appreciated.
    Last edited by HandyRacing; 02-07-2010 at 12:02 PM.

Here are a few samples from yesterday:

I've spent a lot of time inside indoor arenas w/ horse shows...
    I have shot them w/ all sorts of combinations...Depends also if its night or day, as there will be lots of "hot" spots (open doors, windows) if its daytime.
    Not sure I"d attempt it w/out some serious camera equipment though.

It will also depend on what kind of horse show you are shooting...If you are the ring photographer, you can get away w/ no flash and a 50mm lens if you can shoot at a decent ISO....at least for "flat" classes- just use your feet as your zoom........I have not shot any hunter jumper type classes over fences....I'd change my setup if I were shooting jumping classes.

Rodeo's are cool, you just get yourself to where the action is (and I usually stay outside the ring for those...I just move around to where I need to be....I know the bulls tend to stay close to the gates, the barrel horses - get near a barrel, the ropers usually are cool right out of the gate, or mid arena when they are likely catching the calf....Just be observant and you'll get the idea!
    cheers,
    sue.
    Susan Griggs Photography
    The LINK newspaper
    sgriggs2006@yahoo.com

Nikon D90
    Nikon D700
    Nikkor 50mm f1.4
    Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D
    Nikkor 70-300mm f4-5.6
    SB-600, SB-900 Speedlights

Thread Information