Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Submission Grappling

I haven't posted anything in a really long time. I thought I would post up some stuff from this summer. Starting with some submission grappling.
    This was shot in a nice arena. The usual bad indoor light situation. But at least there were no windows and it was consistent. D3s with 70-200 at ISO 10,000 @ 1/500-1/800 f4. D700 with 24-70 at ISO 4000 @ 1/320-1/500 f2.8.

http://www.theinfinitymachine.com/im...81172135-5.jpg

5. The toughest chick on the planet. My friend Rebecca. She beat this dude.

7. Big trouble

9. Super cropped, I was really far away. But I saw this and had to get a picture of this kid working. I love his determination.

Here are a few awards for good measure. Shot with a D300s on a tripod taped to the floor, with 2 Einsteins for the light. This was my first go with the Einsteins for shooting this type of thing. It was great. Much more consistent than flashes. And tons of power.

10. Yep that is Herb Dean. Selena had to work with him all day on these awards. He was a super nice guy.

12. My team from Absolute MMA in SLC

Re: Submission Grappling

ISO 10000?

When I shoot Judo, I found that even 1/400s is fast enough to freeze the action. They're not that fast, really. Usually I shoot wide open though.

Sharp and clear ! Would prefer some of them not have their feet cut off though.

Love that first one with the kid looking right at the camera

Number 4 and number 7 are pretty great, too. I also like how happy everyone looks in the podium shots. I assume the guys on the podium just competed with each other yet there seems to be no animosity.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thanks guys!

Yep ISO 10,000. My shutter was at 1/500 in most areas of the arena. There were a few hotspots and a few darker areas that required a different speed. But all f4 with the 70-200. For me f4 is about the sweet spot for getting more in focus and still controlling backgrounds. With the 24-70 I can shoot at 2.8 and get some more DOF because I am usually shooting it toward the wide end.

I find if I drop much below 1/500 for these types of events I just loose too many pics to bad motion blur. Yes, you can get some really great shots with slow shutter speeds too. I was there covering the event for the promotion. For me it was important to deliver the goods at the end of the day. I ended up with about 650 nice action shots from the day. This is about 1/3 the amount I would have shot if I were selling photos from the event to competitors.

Oopps here is the broken link pic

Quote Originally Posted by zerodog View Post
    Oopps here is the broken link pic
    Oh yeah - that's a good one! Thanks for reposting it!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information