Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

A spot and some shots

A little more detail on the Goodwood festival of Speed this time.
    I look for shots in the rally stage where the cars change direction.
    The old rear wheel drive cars will be tail happy here and providing a great shot with flying dust, covering me and the camera in dust as they pass.
    Four wheel drive cars may not be so spectacular as they hold the road better, with less wheel spin there's less to show for the speed.
    Front wheel drive cars often understeer into the bank, and there may be a shot of them throwing up dust from the front end as they scrabble their way down the bank.

But if it's wet then the cars will be going much slower on the chalk surface - it's like ice and they can't get the drive uphill into most of the corners. They're less spectacular too because wet muddy chalk doesn't fly up as well as dry dusty chalk.

Of course over the jump they're not going as fast, as a landing they could correct in the dry will send the car off into the trees or log piles in the wet. So with classic championship winning cars (and sometimes classic world champions) discretion is advised.

The best light is cloudy, or sun over your shoulder. Sun is unlikely in most spots among the tall fir trees, but on some of the straights at the wrong time of day there is sun on the track. Good illumination, smaller apertures are possible; but dark shadows and glare.

The shot in the sunlight shows the problem with glare, I have to say it's a typical problem on smaller sensors.
    I notice purple flare like that much more on compacts, less on micro 4/3.
    I don't recall it when shooting with the Canon L lenses and Pro bodies.

Notice the Subaru is moving faster than the Honda, aperture f/10 for the Toyota and f/2.5 for the Subaru, sunlight makes a huge difference!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A spot and some shots-p6292793.jpg   A spot and some shots-_6303763.jpg   A spot and some shots-p6302802.jpg   A spot and some shots-p6302804.jpg  
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: A spot and some shots

By contrast, this is what it looks like in the dry ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A spot and some shots-_1080844.jpg   A spot and some shots-_1080849.jpg   A spot and some shots-_1080836.jpg  
    PAul

Good info. Thanks!
    I bet that shot with the flare would be improved if you just take the saturation all the way down on the purple channel in Lightroom (or whatever you have).

What Honda? :-P

Toy Yoda, sorry.
    I had a Honda image I was going to use, and then changed my mind and not the text.
    At least I have half a mind to change ...
    PAul

Toy Yoda! Brings back a news memory.

A local Hooter's had some kind of beer sales contest for the waitresses where it was announced (verbally) that the winner would get a "Toyota." When she was awarded her Toy Yoda, she sued. And won.

Not an urban myth, it happened right here in mah very own home town!

banished

Virtually all sports and the athletes who compete are always moving; but, of course, you’re shooting with a still camera. There are a number of techniques that you can use to suggest motion, even though you’re not shooting video. Read the PhotographyTalk.com article, Zoom While You Shoot for Amazing Images, to learn about the zoom effect. You can also shoot at a slower shutter speed, so the movement of the athlete is slightly blurred. Another technique is to follow the athlete as he or she moves across the plane of your photo and release the shutter, as your camera is moving.

Improving your digital sports photography takes practice and patience.

Thread Information