Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 HSM

Visited the Sigma booth at PMA today and played with the SD10 digital SLR, the new 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG lens, and what might be a sweet sleeper of a sports lens - the 120-300 f/2.8 HSM lens. This was my first really close look at the 120-300mm lens and I got to try it out on an EOS 3. The HSM autofocus really is fast, the lens feels solid, and the range is awesome for some of the landscape mountain bike photos I shoot.

Verdict? I'm buyin' it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 HSM-img_6598.jpg  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar

but.. don't you know................

but.. don't you know that ONLY a canon lens is good???

as i told you earlier... this lens DOES rock and at under $2k you can't go wrong!

you might ask the rep about "a loaner" for the day.... you are A PRO, YOU REPRESENT A WELL KNOWN SITE... you may even get a "deal" at the show!
    Last edited by paulnj; 02-13-2004 at 07:45 AM.
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

It Sure Looks...

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Visited the Sigma booth at PMA today and played with the SD10 digital SLR, the new 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG lens, and what might be a sweet sleeper of a sports lens - the 120-300 f/2.8 HSM lens. This was my first really close look at the 120-300mm lens and I got to try it out on an EOS 3. The HSM autofocus really is fast, the lens feels solid, and the range is awesome for some of the landscape mountain bike photos I shoot.

Verdict? I'm buyin' it!
    Like a very impressive piece of glass. I've heard nothing but good things about it. If you've got the means, then by all means get one and let us know how it works for you.
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

Smile Non-Canon Glass

Paul-
    This will be the first non-Canon lens I've bought since switching to Canon, over ten years ago. It's actually an emotional decision for me. It's a little scary, too. I know what to expect and have a lot of confidence with Canon. Buying a third-party lens, especially one like this, is a big deal. I guess I just have to trust the people posting reviews on my own site, don't I?
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Trust your crew, Mr. Captain! I've been looking at their 12-24 because it will also work with 35mm film, unlike Nikon's DX version of the lens. The Sigma is supposed to be pretty good - and about $400 less.

nature/wildlife co-moderator paulnj's Avatar
    please! i've shot plenty of great and crappy nikon, canon, minolta, tokina, tamron, sigma...... lenses! sure a $4200 300f2.8 SHOULD be amazing, BUT sigma , tokina and tamron all make OUCH sharp lenses too.

being that you are traveling with a 1D, why not mount that baby for a few test images! i shot tests with the 500f4.5 and 800f5.6 sigmas!!!!!!! also i took tests with a few nikon and canon lenses

never hurts to ask AND those lenses at the show have been mounted on 100+ cameras already anyway!!!!
    CAMERA BIRD NERD #1

BIRD NERD O'CANON

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" - Benjamin Franklin

I too struggled with the choice of Canon vs Sigma lenses, specifically the 70 - 200 mmm f2.8. After 2 months of reading reviews, then testing both lenses I settled on the Sigma, new for $600.00 over a used Canon for $999.00. Comparing the photos of the two lenses I'm really happy with the choice. And the auto focus is just as fast as the Canon. I haven't had the lens a month yet but have shot hockey, basketball, gymnastics, wrestling and an indoor race and found it to be a superb lens for action and even nature shots as well. My next purchase will probably be a Sigma as well.
    John

Thread Information