Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Shooting Everything in Sight

I've decided to make a little bit of a go at this photo thing. After shooting a mountain bike race for a local magazine 15-20 riders started asking me if I had their photos. Hum, maybe there is a little bit of money to be made (maybe enough to pay for hosting and some gear anyway). So I set up a web page, Shutterfly Pro account, order forms for team photos and went to work. Yesterday I shot my second soccer team, the 12 hours of Bootleg Canyon mountain bike race and then shot a sweet 16 birthday party. In the next couple of weeks I have two football teams and a church youth conference to shoot. Yikes, what did I get myself into.

If you go to my website -- don't laugh. I'm a graphics guy and most definitely not a web guy. I used the hosting services own tools to make the site. I did make templates for the first redesign in Dreamweaver -- but I don't have the foggiest idea how to make pages, links and upload everything.

So here are some of the sports shots from yesterday.

mbb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shooting Everything in Sight-12hobca.jpg   Shooting Everything in Sight-12hobcb.jpg   Shooting Everything in Sight-12hobcc.jpg   Shooting Everything in Sight-12hobcd.jpg  

Re: Shooting Everything in Sight

Another couple of captures:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shooting Everything in Sight-lboltsu11-2teamfun.jpg   Shooting Everything in Sight-lboltsu11bigkick.jpg   Shooting Everything in Sight-arbday.jpg  

#2 and the soccer team are my favs. The blood on the knee is what make the "toughness" show. And the kids are great. Having fun and laughing is what sports are all about. Nice job....

Phil
    Support those who protect us:
    www.ODMP.org

Not-so-recent Nikon Convert livin4lax09's Avatar

i really like your logo and the angle on the second photo. In the first one the DOF is very nice. When shooting lower like in your second and third, see if you can get a flash off-camera. Should help to alleviate those shadows. Good luck, I can see you've already got some talent!

Quote Originally Posted by livin4lax09
    i really like your logo and the angle on the second photo. In the first one the DOF is very nice. When shooting lower like in your second and third, see if you can get a flash off-camera. Should help to alleviate those shadows. Good luck, I can see you've already got some talent!

Thanks for the comments. I've been in graphics for many years and only in the past year have I really got into photography again.

I guess I can pick up an SB-800 to control my 600 and shoot with a remote flash -- and I thought my kit was getting big already. I did forget to replace my batteries in my flash after my soccer shoots in the morning and by the time I was shooting the race that sucker was recycling pretty slow and sometimes not fast enough to keep up with my trigger finger.

But man it was a ton of fun being out all day doing paying photo gigs.

mbb

Thread Information