Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Shooting BB with Canon Rebel XS

I am new to this forum, having searched for online help in shooting BB games (high school.) My experience has been that it's not so easy, and this was confirmed by what I have been reading. Gym lighting, ouch.

I have a Canon Rebel XS, and I would classify myself as a beginner, maybe slightly beyond beginner.

I followed a few threads and tried to process the settings, etc. but they don't seem to apply to my camera - is that because the "pros" have better equipment? As an example, my camera only goes up to ISO 1600. With that setting, I find the photos very noisy.

I am also wondering if I need a wide-angle lense, and if so, how do I know what to choose.

Appreciate any and all help. Oh, and I am not looking for professional quality shots - just enough to make me (and the kids happy) when photos are shared, ie., nice clear shots!

Many thanks,
    SJDodd

Re: Shooting BB with Canon Rebel XS

With ISO only going to 1600 and kit lenses you are going to be really limited in gym light. Your best bet to even get to take a photo that is clear is a flash. And that may not be allowed in your gym. Wide angle is typically not used with BB. Unless that is you are right at the hoop.

When you have tried this in the past what were your settings?

Thank you for your quick response. I have used my zoom lense (75-300 mm) and used ISO 1600 with the camera set to shutter priority, f/4. This allowed enough light in at least one gym, where the team I was shooting was wearing white.

Part of the problem is that not only is the gym lighting poor, but the crowd and the players tend to be dark skinned as well. This, along with the fact that their other uniform is deep maroon and black make for very difficult shooting.

If I don't need to consider a wide-angle lense, that's a bit of a help.

I can consider a flash but I always worry about shadows. How do I avoid that?

Many thanks,
    SJDodd

You can try to bounce your flash. At least shoot up toward the ceiling. Not sure if the Rebel offers high speed sync. If it does. It will help with your flash sync speed. At least use rear curtain flash.

Other things that are critical for gym light, or any indoor light for that matter is this, White Balance! I don't care if you shoot in RAW. Do your best to get WB right in camera and your pics will be better off. Also make sure you expose a little on the hot side. You want to bring your images down a touch in post, not up. If you don't see a few blinking highlights on your preview here and there, you need to go brighter.

Another thing that helps a ton in your situation is to shoot full manual. It is easier than it sounds. Say you shoot f4 you already know the ISO will be at 1600. These are already fixed. All you need to do is find the right shutter speed. Do a few test shots and that is it. Let it rip! I bet with your lens and your body you are looking somewhere around 1/250 or less in a gym to get the exposure right. This is slow as hell for sports without a flash, but that does not mean you can not get some great shots. If you pan with the action you can get great shots that show a lot of motion. Yes you will miss a ton. But as you get better at it you will get some really nice shots.

Thread Information