Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Roadrunners run Golden Eagles off road

Last Wednesday night the Butte College Roadrunners looked good as they dispatched the Feather River Golden Eagles 76-67 in a basketball match played at Butte College.

All shots were taken with a D700 + 50 mm. f/1.8 prime at manual settings of 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 3200.

Comments are welcome.

Bob

Photo #1: I don't know whether those shoes helped, but #21 scored 18 points during the game.

Photo #3: #24 had 19 points for the evening.

Photo #4: At 6'4" and 230 pounds #41 is the biggest man on the Butte roster. He scored 8 points.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Roadrunners run Golden Eagles off road-7rb_2979_2.jpg   Roadrunners run Golden Eagles off road-7rb_3025_2.jpg   Roadrunners run Golden Eagles off road-7rb_3074_2.jpg   Roadrunners run Golden Eagles off road-7rb_3095_2.jpg   Roadrunners run Golden Eagles off road-7rb_3131_2.jpg  

Re: Roadrunners run Golden Eagles off road

All shots were taken with a D700 + 50 mm. f/1.8 prime at manual settings of 1/500, f/2.8, and ISO 3200.
    How much did your gear cost you? Great shots btw

I rarely use the 50 f1.8 for sports but your excellent results might encourage me to give it a try this evening.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by RoguePix View Post
    How much did your gear cost you? Great shots btw
    RoguePix,

Thanks for commenting.

The D700 body cost $2450 in February 2009 (the best photo gear buy I ever made!), and my lady friend gave me the 50 mm. f/1.8 for Christmas in 2007. She paid $106 for it.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    I rarely use the 50 f1.8 for sports but your excellent results might encourage me to give it a try this evening.
    Thanks, Larry.

Until recently I didn't use the 50 mm. f/1.8 very often either, but it's such a pleasure using it instead of the heavyweight zooms, especially after a shoot where I've had to lug the 80-200 f/2.8 around all evening! I find it ideal with the D700 for working the baseline in the vicinity of the basket.

Bob

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I think #1 and #5 are the standouts from this set.
    In #5 you have the whole story, with the scorebard oof in the background but still you can read 63 46.
    In #1 you can's see the whole scoreboard but who cares? THE SHOES! and his face, and the pose, and the faces of the opposing players - all 3 watching him score.
    Good timing makes the shots.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thanks much, Paul. I appreciate the good report. Some nights are better than others in capturing keepers, and I have to admit that I don't usually have results as good as they turned out to be on this particular night.

Perhaps you can give me some additional feedback. I posted these same photos on another forum and was informed by one viewer that they looked a little over-exposed whereas they look fine to me on my calibrated monitor. (iMacs are noted for having very bright monitors, and I have the brightness on mine set to about 35 on a scale of 0 to 100). So do these look over-exposed to you? I don't want to fiddle with my monitor brightness setting on the basis of a single report.

Bob

Thread Information