Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Record setting open water swim

Last weekend an old friend of mine set a record for open water swimming here in Gunnison, Co. We have the largest body of water in Colorado, Blue Mesa Reservoir and she swam (almost) the length of it which ended up being about 13 Miles.
    She is an oncology nurse and cancer survivor so she did the swim not only to establish a record but also to raise money and awareness for Rocky Mountain Cancer Assistance.
    I went out early for the 7:00 am start at the West end of the reservoir. I shot the start and then got in my kayak to get some photos from the water. I also drove to a couple more spots along the way and finally met up with her again at the finish. She had tough conditions (head wind and waves) in the afternoon which caused her to stop a couple Miles short of her initial goal, but she still made a very impressive effort and established the record. Another factor is we are at 7700 ft. above sea level here which makes for thin air and cold water. It was done under English Channel rules which means no wetsuit and no physical contact with the support boat for the 10+ hr. duration. Rebecca is a tough lady!

IMGP3233.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP3313.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP3339.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP3374.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Re: Record setting open water swim

Oh mattb, that second image with the sun glistening on the water is top notch!

Nice work Matt, and big congrats to your friend Rebecca.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

I really like when stories worth reading are posted with the photos to illustrate the story
    Congrats to your friend!

Thread Information