The snowpack in the backcountry around here is still pretty touchy but I did a fun nearby tour with a friend last weekend that slid a couple of weeks ago and has since filled back in. The slide should have released a lot of potential energy making this route safer and IMO worth a ski. The light wasn't great but I did what I could with my new K-5 & little 40mm pancake (my smallest lightest lens). With that lens on the camera I can fit my SLR in my chest pocket of my shell for easy access.

It takes me at least a couple of hours to climb the 3000+ Ft. to get to the top of Mt. Emmons. It's hard work, but the views are nice.

IMGP0393.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Mt. Crested Butte

IMGP0395.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

The road to (powder) heaven

IMGP0396.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

My partner is an Ironman triathlete, so he could open up a gap on me without too much effort. Especially if I'm stopping to take photos!

IMGP0399.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

The route, called Red Lady Bowl is huge. This photo shows just the top third or so with my buddy skiing down. Light was pretty flat here.

IMGP0425.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Snow on the down was pretty good at first but got heavy and crusty as we got to lower altitudes.

IMGP0449.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP0455.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Once it started to flatten out it got heavy and it was tough skiing. We each got to sample the snow up close and personal.

IMGP0463.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

The rest was another 1000' of survival gully skiing on sun crust through willows so I kept the camera in my pocket and concentrated on survival from there.
Fun day!