Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Question when taking Soccer Photos

Hello. I am a new member to this forum. I have the E-300 and Love it. I have a question regarding the best equipment to get for Outdoor Soccer Photos. These will be team and individual shots, NOT action.

I am wondering if I NEED additional equip. or if the lens combo that came with the e-300 will do the job? I am not opposed to getting new equipment (my wife would tell a different story), but if i don't have too then I would rather work with what I've got

Any feedback/help is appreciated. I am not to familiar with terminology (YET!!!, still learning) however any help is appreciated

Re: Question when taking Soccer Photos

I don't know anything about the E300, but some additional info is needed to help you out.

1: inside or outside? inside you may need extra lighting, outside make sure the subjects are getting plenty of light and no shadows, especially on the faces.
    2: what size prints are you going to make? is the camera capable of those size prints
    3: what lens is it?

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

1:Outside. Will take your advice and make sure on those things.

2:Sizes vary from 4x6, 5x7, 8x10 and I think that is it. Camera is 8mp so those sizes should not be a problem.

3:That is what I am wondering I have two lenses to choose from, however if a different lens would work better I am not opposed to getting a new one. 14-45mm and the 40-150mm.

Thanks for the info.

If it's outside and daylight you could go with a lens up to 300mm. I used to use a 28-300 that worked great for soccer, but decided on a different approach with using my 70-200 and a 400mm, but thats pretty pricy for most users.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Hi People!
    I use a 70-200mm (f2.8) and 300mm (f2.8) at football (soccer) matches. I also keep a 1.4x and 2x teleconverter if I'm shooting during the day. At night however a teleconverter is practically useless. It's best to always use a monopod during the day fo stability with the larger lenses, however at night its essential.
    Cheers, Dan
    Pride, Passion & Belief!

Thread Information