Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Pummeler's Butt trail races

Last Saturday we had a couple of trail races here put on by Dave Wiens' trail advocacy organization, Gunnison Trails.
    In the morning there was a trail run (10k or 19k) over some very rough terrain. In the afternoon there was a mountain bike race. A small handful of folks did both. I just shot some photos.

IMGP0134.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP0150.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP0164.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

IMGP0273 by MattB.net, on Flickr

This guy, Brian Smith is a friend, neighbor, and the FedEx guy (and Jenny Smith's husband). He won both races handily.
    He's kind of an animal!

IMGP0299.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

I used some off-camera flash triggered with a Cactus v5 and that seemed to work pretty well. I also had an enthusiastic assistant (my son).

IMGP0293 by MattB.net, on Flickr

Afterwards there was a fun party at the local KOA which is just down the road from where the races were held, Hartman Rocks. It was nice.

IMGP0352-Edit.jpg by MattB.net, on Flickr

Re: Pummeler's Butt trail races

Matt,

I like #2 where you have framed the runner between the two large rock formations.

Your photos with the golden fall colors bring back many good memories of our September/October 2008 trip to Colorado, one of my favorite vacation destinations. We hit most of the great old Colorado mining towns and loved them all with the possible exception of Creed. I don't like heights, but I still enjoyed the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park in your area. I even climbed a hill in Glenwood Springs to visit the cemetery where Doc Holiday of OK Corral fame is buried. Long live Colorado!

Bob

Re: Pummeler's Butt trail races

Thanks Bob! I feel pretty fortunate to live here! (as long as I'm not comparing consumer, fuel, and food prices to larger cities)

I love the Black Canyon too. I bet the scrub oak are looking really nice over there right now. I may have to try to get over there this weekend and have a look. But I also love heights and the views from them so there's probably more for me to love here than for you!

Thread Information