Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

As promised....some new pictures of Women's Soccer and Volleyball

I've had a busy week. I shot women's volleyball last night and women's soccer this afternoon. Along with that, I've been the main photographer for the Athletic Department at my college this week, handling team pictures and headshots of whatever sports teams fit my schedule. I'm so busy, I wish I was getting paid for all of this.

While I was shooting the soccer game this afternoon, I ran into the Public Relations Director of my college. He's heard about me and he was interested in seeing some of my work for the College's promotional use. I just need to email him my web address, but before I do that, I think I should find a better way of building photo galleries so people can't download my images and try to use them.

Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Re: As promised....some new pictures of Women's Soccer and Volleyball

Nice job MASDOG.... and there is a ball in every shot!

JS

Masdog,

I am new to this photography thing and while I get decent shots, the lighting in my pictures is not near as clear as yours. I have an original Rebel and use a Canon 135 f/2. I shoot in Tv mode, ISO 800 at 1/500 I also bumped the Av to +2. I get great stop action like yours but the background is too dark IMO. Is there a better setting to use? I noticed you shoot manual. What are your other settings?

I know it may be hard to reply without seeing a picture but I am at work and my pictures are on my home computer. I have a feeling that part of the problem is high school gym lighting and the Depth of Field with my lens but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie
    Masdog,

I am new to this photography thing and while I get decent shots, the lighting in my pictures is not near as clear as yours. I have an original Rebel and use a Canon 135 f/2. I shoot in Tv mode, ISO 800 at 1/500 I also bumped the Av to +2. I get great stop action like yours but the background is too dark IMO. Is there a better setting to use? I noticed you shoot manual. What are your other settings?

I know it may be hard to reply without seeing a picture but I am at work and my pictures are on my home computer. I have a feeling that part of the problem is high school gym lighting and the Depth of Field with my lens but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rookie,

Your right, without seeing any pictures it would be hard to tell exactly. I would from what you stated say start with a lower shutter speed, 500 in a poorly lit gym just won't work. I shoot between 125 and 250 in poorly lit gyms with iso 800 - 1600.

A note about gyms that have bad lighting: the higher up you are the better the light you get as it reflects off the floor! If you do that though - Make sure you adjust you WB accordingly or photos will have yellow tint!!!

JS

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Hi Rookie. Listen to JSPhoto. He does this stuff for a living. Right now, this is only a hobby and college credit for me (I'll explain that in another thread).

There is one piece of advice that I can give you. You said the lighting in your gym was bad. Because of this, I would recommend against shooting in TV mode. Shoot in AV (apeture priority) or M (full manual) modes. This will allow you to control your apeture and set it to it's widest setting to get the most possible light. Sharpness will suffer a little, but you can correct that in Photoshop.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

Thanks guys. I adjusted for custom WB and that helped alot. I will try to use manual mode and play around some more. I am having trouble with my PC attaching a photo from last night.

But thanks again for your help. I'll be back in touch.

Rookie

Thread Information