Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: Ouch!!!

Ouch!!!

Just one from a game yesterday that made an impression. I'll bet it will leave a mark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ouch!!!-dsc_5299-2-1000.jpg  
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Re: Ouch!!!

Good shot. My nephew took one on the helmet last night, but I only got the start of his ducking (letting go of the bat) and him crouched down, ball headed for the fence. 3fps just isn't enough at the plate!

You're right 3fps just doesn't make it in most sports situations. The D700 with the grip and 8 AA's allows me to shot at 8 fps which can still be to slow if your shot gunning. I like to try and time the shots as close as possible at the plate or on a pitched ball and not really rely on the motor drive to capture the action. On fielding plays I find the 8 fps helps me catch a very good sequence of the play.

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

The next 2 -3 frames would have been great too. Nice shot

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    You're right 3fps just doesn't make it in most sports situations. The D700 with the grip and 8 AA's allows me to shot at 8 fps which can still be to slow if your shot gunning. I like to try and time the shots as close as possible at the plate or on a pitched ball and not really rely on the motor drive to capture the action. On fielding plays I find the 8 fps helps me catch a very good sequence of the play.
    Larry,

I have the D700 and a grip, but I have never attempted to shoot sports at 8 FPS. It's already a big enough chore to sort through all of the images I bring home shooting at 5 FPS! Another factor is the weight and bulk the grip adds to the D700. I like to travel light, and all factors combined have made me use the grip much less than I thought I would.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob32 View Post
    Larry,

I have the D700 and a grip, but I have never attempted to shoot sports at 8 FPS. It's already a big enough chore to sort through all of the images I bring home shooting at 5 FPS! Another factor is the weight and bulk the grip adds to the D700. I like to travel light, and all factors combined have made me use the grip much less than I thought I would.

Bob
    I rarely take the grip of the D700 the weight is a very small inconvenience for the advantage of a vertical release and the extra 3 fps when I'm shooting sports. Besides if your shooting a 300mm f2.8 the extra weight of the grip just doesn't make it a factor.

Nikon Samurai #13

Now that's what I call perfect timing OT. Nice capture!
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite