Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Not around as much....

As most of you who have been around a while may have noticed I'm not around as much now. Things have changed a lot this year for me and the the main change is I am working a whole lot more, some weeks working every day and I just do not have time to hang out here. I'm shooting more spot news stuff as well as a lot more sports too. Part of this was brought about by changes at one of the papers I shoot for, as well as a recently added paper that I began shooting for after a 4 year lapse. They had to cut all stringers until things got better for them but notified me after I shot a game for them last Saturday that they will be using me more as well. :thumbsup:
    The changes at one paper have included an upcoming change at the sports editors position, the only way he'ed take the job was if he could use me more Included in that though was a huge bonus for me.... more time at race tracks And for an even bigger change I'll be doing the weekly racing article for the paper as well as feature stories on area racers and in charge of all the racing coverage! That, added to all the other sports and spot news will be keeping me very busy. The month of May will be another like last year where I got a whole 3 days off the entire month, as it looks now I won't get a single day off this May, and thats not counting any spot news stuff. Unlike past years where things slowed down for the summer I'll be working all summer as well, but thats OK as most of it will be at race tracks :thumbsup: The only thing I dread is doing the proms and graduations.

Poor SmartWombat will left to keep track of things here, although I'll pop in when I can, but as of today things start to get really busy. Today (and tomorrow) I'm doing my first feature story on brothers who race INEX Legends cars.... the fun begins! And so does softball this coming week.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Re: Not around as much....

Good for you JS! Sounds like things will be looking up, at least from a work perspective. It seems like I'm doing more and more lately but with a "real" job that keeps me on the road most of every week it's tough to make as many events as I would like. One of these days I hope to move to a less traveled position so I can shoot more. Best of luck, I have to head out to a powerlifting meet now.
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

That is good news John.
    This is the bit I really like "the only way he'd take the job was if he could use me more" big congratulations for that, you've worked hard to earn it !
    This sounds like more work "and in charge of all the racing coverage!" but more in the herding cats line Does this mean you pick (the work of) other stringers?

I'll keep an eye on this unruly crowd
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

way to go John, I'm starting a new adventure myself in starting a photography business doing portraits and the such. It's nice to see someone that puts as much work as you do in to get a reward for it, congrats my friend and keep up the hard work.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

John keep in mind that it's quality not quantity that count the most. Please grace us with your quality images at every opportunity. Congrats on the additional work I know the bank account will reflect it and that can't be a bad thing.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

You will be missed here, and your knowledge, as you have helped me so much in the past few months.

I agree...I hope we get to see some of your work from time to time....

And a BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
    BFiredup
    "The new girl on the block! :blush2: "
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6III
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

Thank You everyone
    Day one was a bust, lousy weather but tomorrow should be nice!

SW, I'm only using one stringer, oddly enough my former boss for 7 years at one of the papers and then only for the big races like Indy and the Brickyard and some big short track stuff. He's going to be bit busy though as he's going to miss some time in May going to China to adopt a baby girl :thumbsup: Otherwise it's all me. I even get to pick the races covered. And yeah, it was interesting when the new editor made the comment he did before accepting the job.

OT: well the bank account hasn't changed much...still empty, but the bills are getting paid

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I did get a new toy for my work. Since I'll be at tracks and not always get back in time to send my photos and so on I now have Verizon Wireless Broadband for my laptop. This will also be a big help in the fall when football starts, no rushing back from somewhere to send photos

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I have ATT brodband for my laptop it is great for that very reason just as long as you have coverage, some of those 1A and 2A's good luck ;)
    Again congrats on the racing coverage thing, I don't know anyone that is into dirt as much as you are.
    Chris Johnson
    Nikon Samurai # 30 chrisjohnsonpic.com
    Nikon D2Xs, Nikon D50, SB-800, AF Nikkor 80-200 D ED f2.8, AF Nikkor 50 D f1.8, AF Nikkor 18-55 G ED f5.6

Quote Originally Posted by JSPhoto
    As most of you who have been around a while may have noticed I'm not around as much now. Things have changed a lot this year for me and the the main change is I am working a whole lot more, some weeks working every day and I just do not have time to hang out here. I'm shooting more spot news stuff as well as a lot more sports too. Part of this was brought about by changes at one of the papers I shoot for, as well as a recently added paper that I began shooting for after a 4 year lapse. They had to cut all stringers until things got better for them but notified me after I shot a game for them last Saturday that they will be using me more as well. :thumbsup:
    The changes at one paper have included an upcoming change at the sports editors position, the only way he'ed take the job was if he could use me more Included in that though was a huge bonus for me.... more time at race tracks And for an even bigger change I'll be doing the weekly racing article for the paper as well as feature stories on area racers and in charge of all the racing coverage! That, added to all the other sports and spot news will be keeping me very busy. The month of May will be another like last year where I got a whole 3 days off the entire month, as it looks now I won't get a single day off this May, and thats not counting any spot news stuff. Unlike past years where things slowed down for the summer I'll be working all summer as well, but thats OK as most of it will be at race tracks :thumbsup: The only thing I dread is doing the proms and graduations.

Poor SmartWombat will left to keep track of things here, although I'll pop in when I can, but as of today things start to get really busy. Today (and tomorrow) I'm doing my first feature story on brothers who race INEX Legends cars.... the fun begins! And so does softball this coming week.

JS

Well I for one am really, Really, REALLY (did I mention really) glad that you won't be hanging around here so much John.

Not that we don't like ya or want ya around, but it sounds like you are going to be doing a whole lot more of what you love to do. And that is always a good thing.:thumbsup: Congrats on all the new stuff and please come by as often as you can. Just try to not make some of us too jealous of some of the great sporting events you get to shoot.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Having your own wireless on the laptop should really help use your time effectively, John. Having to drive home and work late to get the images out seemed like a real pain in the past. If you can spread that workload throughout the day (that's 24 hour day I guess) then you can get some sleep !

Where I've got accreditation, the media centres at the track have had wireless LAN setup for media to log in and send our images direct.
    It's increasingly common for organisers to wheel in their own networks, carrying live timing feed and driver/team information online as well as providing access to the outside world.
    We don't even have to be in the media centre - just within range
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

I knew some would be happy I'm not around much....... :blush2:

I just looked at another thread and it hit me that one of the things I'll be shooting this year is the motocycle GP thats coming to Indy for the first time.....that should be fun! Another thing I'll get to is the US Nationals, and then there is the normal stuff, the karts, the low $ racers, and then all the way up to NASCAR & IRL. I haven't figured out a way to do the Madison boat races yet though.... I need a local connection to it. I'm sure if I dig deep enough I'll find one, it only took a stop at an engine shop a couple miles from home to get a connection to the NHRA as they build engines for several teams.

SW, they have dialup at most locations here, too slow for photos as we found out one night, and at Indy the wireless is too slow. O'Rielly Raceway Park is dialup and thats the worst.... 24bps if I remember right was the fastest connection, and thats one place I need a fast connection for the Friday night deadline. Sleep???? whats that?

retro, lol, thats why I went with Verizon, 90% of the places I go are in their National Broadband coverage area, the few that aren't are close enough I can get to a good coverage area with a few miles, although Winchester Speedway might be an issue but I won't need it there.
    re: dirt: it goes back to being a kid and not being allowed to play in the dirt...... I'm making up for lost time Sadly though it seems most of the tracks will be paved, but there will be a few dirt tracks thrown in, including Lawrenceburg, the State Faigrounds, Gas City & Kokomo, not sure about Bloomington yet though. Oh, I forgot tiny tiny Rushville where Tony Stewart started out in the TQ midgets, but even the UMRA runs pavement most of the time.
    And there is always the county fair demo derby, which is always the same day as the North South AllStar football game so I have to fly from one to the other.
    Well I guess I better send this weekends photos out They will be wanting those in the morning for the weekly.

John
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Congrats on the jobs and the column JS! Your input here is very highly valued and I know you've really helped me improve my techniques for shooting racing.

Being that I'm probably the only MotoGP fan you'll ever know, I'll tell you that will be an absolutely awesome event to be at and cover. When MotoGP came back to the US in 2006, my whole family flew out to Laguna Seca (Monterrey, CA) to see it. The event was so popular it actually "sold out" the open air track (no grandstands) all 3 days - even Friday! There are soooo many cool aspects, much more than just the race.

Be sure to keep an eye on the Americans: #5 Colin Edwards (Texas), #21 John Hopkins (California), and 2006 World Champ #69 Nicky Hayden (Kentucky). And of course, there are the little things like 7-time champ Valentino Rossi's signature pre-ride weggie removal...

I'd love to be able to make it up to the race, but I don't think I'm going to this year. Perhaps if your paper needs a 2nd shooter in '09...
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Quote Originally Posted by brmill26
    Congrats on the jobs and the column JS! Your input here is very highly valued and I know you've really helped me improve my techniques for shooting racing.

Being that I'm probably the only MotoGP fan you'll ever know, I'll tell you that will be an absolutely awesome event to be at and cover.

I'd love to be able to make it up to the race, but I don't think I'm going to this year. Perhaps if your paper needs a 2nd shooter in '09...

Thank you.... but before I get to go shoot that I have a few months of "other things", including "Easter Egg Hunts" (I dread this weekend!) .
    And when it does come time for the MotoGP the staff photog will also be there as well as possibly one other guy who has shot at Indy for the paper longer than I have. But who knows, things can change. You could always try the AP or Rueters though.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

You are so busy, but this is good. I remember a time not so long ago that things were not looking so good with lack of work. Congrats! I'm proud of you.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

MCHSS.net

you will be missed. You helped me a lot and I know how hard it is answer every post. You are always honest, positive and informative.

Thank you!
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel XTi 400D 10.1

Canon EF 300/4L IS
    Canon EF 70-200/4L
    Canon 85mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 85/1.8
    Canon 50/1.4

Sigma 70-200/2.8

Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter

www.MCHSS.com
    www.ELLEandMAX.com

Quote Originally Posted by JETA
    You are so busy, but this is good. I remember a time not so long ago that things were not looking so good with lack of work. Congrats! I'm proud of you.
    Thanks JETA. And tomorrow things really start to get busy! Ok, so I start the day off with two Easter Egg Hunt's for news side then it's a double header baseball game and no racing this weekend .... but I am busy, and next week things really start to heat up.....but the following weekend most of the area race tracks begin their 2008 racing season, then it really gets whacky

John
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyC01
    you will be missed. You helped me a lot and I know how hard it is answer every post. You are always honest, positive and informative.

Thank you!
    Thanks VinnyC01! Glad I could help you out! Thats why I have done this, to help others, but hey, even I learned some things too. I'll still drop by when I can though.

John
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information