Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

The Nikon D4 Digital SLR

Nikon has announced their new D4 digital SLR. It's a 16-megapixel full-frame camera with an improved 51-point auto focus system, max burst rate of 11 FPS and a maximum sensitivity of ISO 204,800 (Hi 4). It's also got some new video enhancements, including full-time AF in video mode. It looks like a pretty straightforward reply to the Canon EOS-1D X. For the most part, the Canon's specs look better. But spec sheet performance and real-world performance are not the same thing. They both have the same maximum ISO but the Nikon's slightly lower-resolution sensor and larger pixels may give it the edge in low light performance. On the other hand, we're moving into realms of performance so crazy now, that to some extent, who cares?

Nikon D4 Announcement >>

So what do you think? Which one are you going to buy?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Smile Re: The Nikon D4 Digital SLR

Nikon Shooters will buy the D4, Canon Shooters will buy the 1x, Simple as that.
    Why would you do any different if you've ALREADY got the brand lens...
    I can't see anyone crossing over to the other.

Just my opinion, and I'll take the D4.
    Roger

PS. Yes, I shoot Nikon.

Switching Brands

Quote Originally Posted by Roger79 View Post
    Nikon Shooters will buy the D4, Canon Shooters will buy the 1x, Simple as that.
    Why would you do any different if you've ALREADY got the brand lens...
    In general that's true and it's the advice I almost always give. That said, it's always interesting to take a close look and compare to see who has the edge and where the edge is. This round, I think both cameras are very close. With the D3s and EOS-1D Mk IV I didn't think that was the case. Not at all. I thought the Nikon was a lot better. And I do know people who have made the decision to switch so it does happen. I few years ago a sports shooter friend of mine switched from Canon to Nikon because he didn't want to upgrade from the 5D to the 5D Mk II. He thought the Nikon D700 was a better camera for him and he sold all his Canon gear and is very happy. Similarly, last year a pro ski photographer I know sold all his pro Nikon gear and moved to Canon. I still agree that if you've got a serious lens investment you probably shouldn't change. But sometimes people do...
    Photo-John

Re: The Nikon D4 Digital SLR

Looks like it'll measure well against the Canon, so yes, I don't see a ton of people switching.... Looks like people will still be able to make their living capturing light with either one, at least on paper.

As for which one would I buy? First, need to win the lottery... But if money wasn't a problem, I lean towards the Nikon. Their current AF performance is solid, and I like what their lower end cameras show regarding improvements they are still looking to make in this area. That, and I still prefer Nikon's default color rendering better than Canon's...

does anybody know about the quality of rolling shutter problems most cameras have?

Quote Originally Posted by lezeuddocke View Post
    does anybody know about the quality of rolling shutter problems most cameras have?
    This is a totally general question? Should we move it to the digital SLRs forum?
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John View Post
    This is a totally general question? Should we move it to the digital SLRs forum?
    sure i guess. haha do i start it?

Quote Originally Posted by lezeuddocke View Post
    sure i guess. haha do i start it?
    You have to have at least ten posts to start a thread, which you just hit

You could post this on the Digital Video or Digital SLRs forum. To start a new thread, just go to either of those forums and look for the "New Thread" button on the left side, just above the thread links.

Here's a link to the main forums page, in case you haven't been there yet: http://forums.photographyreview.com/

You can send me a private message once you've posted to make sure I see it
    Photo-John

Thread Information