Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Night time ski/snowboard event, HELP

Hi there, I've been asked to fill in for an event because the normal photographer cant make the event, and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time (as it were). I've been asked to take some shots at a Ski/snowboard event in a city centre during dusk time going into the night. There will be both street lights, lights for the event and SNOW on the ground. I've been lent some equipment (mines at my folks home, can't get to it) that i'm slowly getting my head round (I'm use to a Canon 10D) which is Canon 1D MarkII using a wireless system to trigger a Canon 550EX and a 580EX flashes (I think they are the flashes), I think the lens I'll be using most is a cannon L series 16-35 (and maybe a L 28-200 ish for other shots)

I have managed to get the triggers to work with the flashes on and I have worked out what button does waht on the camera.

My question is, anyone got any tips for this event/set up? As i said, I'm used to a camera that has settings such as sports or night, any tips on where to start? Plus with the flashes, I know you can have masters and slaves, or should I keep away from these setting??, plus with the set up (it will be a rail jam, skiiers/boarders sliding down rails about a foot off the ground) should I have them pointing up at the riders or down?

I know I shouldn't be running before I can walk, but I don't have much choice at the moment and any help would be much appreciated and if we ever met, a beer or two!!

Ross

Re: Night time ski/snowboard event, HELP

If it were me I'd meter off the subject, and not worry about blowing the snow out.

Snow in England now? Doesn't make sense, unless they are making it....

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Well had a quick play at the local park, took a few of a tree and on a swing (gf on the swing was probably the best and safest place to try it out).

Pic1
    Manual Exposure
    ISO 400
    F-Stop f/2.8
    Shutter 1/200

Pic2
    Manual Exposure
    ISO 800
    F-Stop f/2.8
    Shutter 1/200

Pic3
    Manual Exposure
    ISO 800
    F-Stop f/2.8
    Shutter 1/200

Any tips to try and make them any better?? I had a little play with the setting but it was dark not the easiest to so. Are there any tips to make the light look better??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Night time ski/snowboard event, HELP-1.jpg   Night time ski/snowboard event, HELP-2.jpg   Night time ski/snowboard event, HELP-3.jpg  

For the swing shots your lights being aimed at the front of the subject won't help if your shooting from the side, if your going to shoot from the side then light that side.

For the first one manually adjust the flash to get the results you are wanting.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Try using your flashes set at about 1/4 power and keep the ISO around 800. This should give you good light and allow 3 or 4 flash pops before a recycle is needed. The MKII is fast on Continuous shutter and I'm not sure if the flashes can keep up so I would use single shutter and have the ability to trigger several in a row to catch the action.
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

Thread Information