Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Exclamation NFL: Texans vs Raiders - 10.09.11

All week long, I couldn't wait for Sunday. It was another Texans home game and I was ready for game day. I had done some research during the week and knew I wanted to try a few new things. I also wanted to talk to a couple of photographers whose work I had seen online.

I arrived to Reliant Stadium earlier than usual. My plan was to get tailgating shots before heading into the stadium but it had been raining all morning and after checking the radar, there was no chance it was going to let up. It only stopped raining for a few minutes and that's when I exited my car, got all my gear and made a mad dash to the media entrance of the stadium.

I was much earlier than usual and the media room where the photographers set up wasn't empty. Photographers were already setting up their laptops, cleaning their gear and showing off photos from college games that they had shot on Saturday. Some of these photographers had traveled from as far as Dallas (4+ hours away) and Austin (3+ hours away) to shoot the NFL in Houston. I met some wire service photographers as well as a guy who in addition to shooting for wire services also shoots for Topps. We all chatted for a while before heading out to the field about an hour before the noon kickoff.

I brought along my 3 cameras. The plan was to keep my 300mm f/4 lens on my 5D Mark II. With the overcast skies, I knew I wasn't going to have the extra luxury of bright sunlight beaming through the translucent retractable roof so I would need the Mark II's high ISO capabilities. On my Canon 5D, I affixed my 70-200mm and on my Rebel XTi, I swapped between my 15mm fisheye and my 24-70mm. So, I had a long zoom, a medium zoom and a wide angle, ready to go. Of course, throughout the day, I would opt to swap out lenses here an there and shoot with different combinations depending on the situation.

While the Texans lost the game as well as a couple of key players to injuries, I had another learning experience and walked away with some photos that my client and myself were happy with.

Texans vs Raiders - Reliant Stadium - 10.09.11 - 5D_6441B by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Raiders - Reliant Stadium - 10.09.11 - 5DII_7516B by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Raiders - Reliant Stadium - 10.09.11 - 5DII_7555B by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Raiders - Reliant Stadium - 10.09.11 - 5D_6733B by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Raiders - Reliant Stadium - 10.09.11 - 5D_6756B by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Raiders - Reliant Stadium - 10.09.11 - 5D_6760B by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Raiders - Reliant Stadium - 10.09.11 - 5D_6900B by groovehouse, on Flickr

Many more photos can be seen in this slideshow.

Re: NFL: Texans vs Raiders - 10.09.11

Another very successful day on the NFL sidelines. I like the variety of the images you are presenting. Your photography has little something for everyone not just us sports nuts. Nice work.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Nice work. Can you say who the client is, out of curiosity? No problem if you'd rather not.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    Another very successful day on the NFL sidelines. I like the variety of the images you are presenting. Your photography has little something for everyone not just us sports nuts. Nice work.
    Thank you for your comments. I love sports and I love to shoot them, but I don't consider myself just a sports photographer. I like to try to capture the whole event and not just the action.

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Nice work. Can you say who the client is, out of curiosity? No problem if you'd rather not.
    I'm shooting for Clear Channel Media. The slideshow link above points to one of the websites/stations that uses my photos.

Thread Information