Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Exclamation NFL: Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11

The fourth home game of the season was welcomed with beautiful sunny weather and some of the toughest shooting conditions I have encountered while shooting NFL action. With the roof open and the sun beaming down the shadows cast by the stadium made shooting for me rather difficult.

I arrived at the stadium early to shoot the tailgaters and was welcomed with offers of beer, water, clam chowder, burgers and jello shots. Tailgaters run the gamut of things to eat and drink and I always eat a hearty breakfast before making my way to the stadium. It's too hard to try to eat with camera gear and besides, I'm working, not tailgating.

After shooting the tailgaters, I headed to the media entrance and checked in, grabbed my photographers vest, geared up and headed to the field. The first thing I noticed were the shadows and how utterly bright one side was and how utterly dark the other side was. I knew this would be challenging but had no idea how challenging.

Instead of trying to switch settings constantly, I opted to shoot part of the game in the sun and the other part in the shade. When the roof is closed, we have nice even lighting and conditions are considered, to me, ideal. But with the roof open, shadows and ultra bright sunlight wreak havoc for me.

I prefer to shoot manual so I did not opt to try different combinations of settings I stuck with what I knew and I think I succeeded in overcoming the situation.

There were however, plenty of deleted images that were shot in broad daylight and then as I followed the action into the shade ended up being to dark or too light depending on which direction the action was going.

For all my photos from this game, check out this slideshow.

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5DII_8570c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5DII_8617c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5D_7370c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5D_7366c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5D_7353c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5D_7343c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5D_7561c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5D_7467c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5DII_8684c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5DII_8694c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5DII_8869c by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11 - Reliant Stadium - 5DII_8911c by groovehouse, on Flickr
    Last edited by groovehouse; 10-31-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Re: NFL: Texans vs Jaguars - 10.30.11

Wait, go back to the cheerleaders!!!!

mbb

Love the way you images tell the story around the story. Another very successful outing.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

awesome images man! yeaaa, manual all the way

Thread Information