Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

NFL: Texans vs Browns - 11.06.11

The fifth home game of the season was against the Cleveland Browns. Former University of Texas quarterback, Colt McCoy as well as his teammate, running back Chris Ogbonnaya were my two main targets for this game.

Once again, I brought my three cameras. During the pregame warmups, introductions and national anthem, I usually swap out all manner of lenses on my two main cameras but once the game starts my set up is like this:

Canon 5D Mark II - 300mm f/4.0
    Canon 5D - 70-200mm f/2.8
    Canon Rebel XTi - 24-70mm f/2.8

Most of the action is shot with my longest lenses. Rarely do I get to use the 24-70mm for game time shots but if that play comes near me, I want to be ready, therefore, I lug it around and keep it at the ready.

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9546A by groovehouse, on Flickr

The field is a madhouse with photographers trying to get their best shots. The hardest thing to do is to shoot without getting a photographer in your frame.

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9766A by groovehouse, on Flickr

An unfortunate fumble for the home team but a great capture for me.

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9842A by groovehouse, on Flickr

Unwanted touch! Bad touch!

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9621A by groovehouse, on Flickr

I like this shot because of the two players in the foreground. I like the sense of depth.

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9805A by groovehouse, on Flickr

The sack. Colt McCoy was most definitely sore for a while after this game.

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9734A by groovehouse, on Flickr

This was the scene for most of the day for Colt McCoy. He really got to know the Texans turf really well that day.

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9790A by groovehouse, on Flickr

Firing up the crowd. This motion really gets the crowd cheering.

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9506A by groovehouse, on Flickr

Gotta support the troops.

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5DII_9641A by groovehouse, on Flickr

Colt McCoy handing off to Chris Ogbonnaya

Texans vs Browns - Reliant Stadium - 11.06.11 - 5D_8023A by groovehouse, on Flickr

Texans quarterback Matt Schaub runs it in for a touchdown.

Many more photos, including tailgating shots can be seen in this gallery.

Re: NFL: Texans vs Browns - 11.06.11

With each game your post your images seem to step up a notch. Great coverage on the Browns game! Love number 3.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

I agree, great ball handling in #3
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Great work! LOL @ ball handling!

some nice shots there
    I would have tried to open more to limit the background but good captures.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
    With each game your post your images seem to step up a notch. Great coverage on the Browns game! Love number 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat View Post
    I agree, great ball handling in #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    Great work! LOL @ ball handling!
    Thanks everyone, I too had to laugh at "great ball handling" -- funny stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by pleincadre View Post
    some nice shots there
    I would have tried to open more to limit the background but good captures.
    Please explain this because someone else recently asked my why I couldn't get better bokeh in my shots.

Do you mean open my f-stop more?

Trust me, if I could I would. Unfortunately my 300mm is f/4 so I'm limited there to begin with. My 70-200mm is f/2.8 but you have to remember, in order to get a good bokeh or background, you've got to close the distance between the lens and the subject and I'm not close enough to my subject to create that bokeh, unfortunately. If I had a 400 or 600mm I think I would be able to create better bokeh but I just don't have access to those kind of lenses.

I will however take any advice you might have.

Thread Information