Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

New IHSAA photography rule for football

This rule may be used by other states as well as it was added to the National Rulebook as well (National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee) so check other state athletic associations to see if it will affect those in other states.
    For any of you shooting football in Indiana there is a new rule you must know about. The IHSAA has announced a rule that requires schools to add a dotted line 2 yards around the entire field including endzones. Photographers may not cross this line and the rule will be enfoced at all football fields. I was told about this today while shooting a practice today. The order came directly from IHSSA Commissioner Blake Ress.

This rule goes into effect immediately and comes as a result of the woman who was hit on the sidelines at the North South Allstar game earlier this month.
    Having seen the incident that brought this on it doesn't make any sense. The woman who was injured was 5 - 6 feet from the sideline and was not paying attention to the play on the field at the time, she was looking at a photo she took from the previous play so I don't see how this rule will change anything, paying attention to whats going on would have helped however.
    The rule as it appears in the IHSAA rule book and as written by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Football Rules Committee

Two changes were made in Rule 1-2-3 regarding "The Field and Markings." A 4-inch-wide broken restraining line is now required around the outside of the field, and the line must be at least two yards from the sidelines and end lines. The only exception to this rule will be in stadiums where the total field enclosure does not permit the line. In addition, a line, 4 inches wide by 12 inches long, that bisects the limit line at each 5-yard line extended, may be used.

"These lines are used to assist line-to-gain crews, as well as providing additional safety features for players, officials and sideline media; helping game officials with an unobstructed sideline operating area; and providing coaches with an unobstructed view from the coaching box," Colgate said.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Re: New IHSAA photography rule for football

IMO, that's ridiculous! When I'm down there I know I may get hit. If my knee caps get blown out that's my problem. I'd be horrified if we had rules like this in place cuz I was standing around looking at my camera. Photogs are going to get hit. Period. If this disturbs anyone they should NOT be on the field.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

JETA,
    Just wait, some day they will make us wear full pads and helmets then we can all wear helmet cams with a HUD for focus and aiming

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Everyone know you are there at your own risk!! I'll have to check but I've heard nothing about this here in KY. At my home field these rules would put me shooting from the track.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Well this new rule will cut down on shot oppertunities. The only good thing is that we won't have to work as much because part of the time we'll be blocked by players and coaches and officials, as well as some others who don't belong on the sidelines. Maybe it's time for a rule limiting non participants and non-media allowed on the sidelines and place those who are not players/coaches or media behind the media 2 yards farther so we have an escape route.

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Yet another reason for limited access on the sidelines! I'm with OT that I hope KY doesn't resort to this. My son-in-law is head coach at one of our local HS and hasn't mentioned this yet. I will be in contact with him and the AD this week while doing the T&Is and will feel them out to see if this has been mentioned.

It's a funny thing that this has come up for football where photogs are normally very mobile. And yet for many basketball games (especially the state tournament games) we are more or less "locked" into a position right on the edge of the end line. Seems to me that is more dangerous for us and the players. One question that comes up about this is the ability of these sanctioning bodies to make these types of rules since in most of their charters it states that they were formed "to promote fair and organized play of state HS sports as well as the safety and well being of the players and participants".

Since photographers/journalists are neither players or participants, it doesn't appear to me that they have any grounds to make rules that apply to them other than requiring creds or where positioning might interfere with the game or cause injury to a player/participant. I wonder if this applies to the contract photogs at state level events? Of course for football I have seen some of them use a boom with a remote camera mounted on it which wouldn't need to be inside the line. This is nearly as objectionable as the NFL now requiring red vests with ads on them for sideline photogs.
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

I agree there are too many people on the sidelines, everyone under the sun seems to want to be there and finds a way to get there. According to the new rules though, those non-media people will have to be farther back behind the photogs. What irks me is the TV crews seem to get to go where they want, even if it means blocking the photogs.

I really am not looking forward to the season as much do to these new rules though, we will miss a lot of good shots now

As for vests at NFL games, I'd wear one if it were for Canon and they gave me a big discount for gear :thumbsup:

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Well after shooting the scrimmage and the first official game of the year last week under this new rule I can say I HATE IT! :mad5: and it needs to be tossed FAST! The officials have officially become jerks about this new rule, and the great sideline shots of players are all but gone, unless you shoot from the opposite side of the field
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

I can add my opposition as well. I didn't realize it till I got to the game last Friday but there was the dreaded line around the field. The officials were not adamant about it, but I tried to abide by the rules. The main problem I had was that many of the traditional angels on shots were now gone. And I missed a number of plays that I should not have because the players were obscured from my view because I was farther back and couldn't get them as they came to the sidelines. This was most evident when the play is in the middle of the field and in front of the benches. Players and coaches have always been in the way of shots but now it is much worse because of the angle of view being farther from the sidelines.
    Don't forget about the Gallery. Are your photos there??

Nikon Samurai #13

"A photographer is known by what he shows not by what he throws. The best photographers have the biggest trash cans." Quote from Nikon School sometime in the early 1970's.

Yes OT, I too have discovered that KY in their infinite wisdom has decided to "protect" those of us on the sidelines. If this were other than HS football I might invest in some much longer glass and shoot from the end zone. But with the lighting (or lack of it) and the fact that HS action shots are not as lucrative as I would like, I really can't justify the cost. I still have the ability to be very mobile around the field, but the set back lines really do cramp one's shooting style. We can only hope that the parents, officials, and local papers notice the change in some of the shots that they have been used to getting of the games and decide to drop the rule.
    Daniel - PixElite Photography

http://www.pixelitephotography.com
    http://www.actionphototips.com
    http://www.maxpreps.com
    I use Nikon Professional gear.

A friend of ours paints field from pro to hs in the PNW. He said he's having to put the yellow line around many fields that do not have them. He said it's now a national rule.
    It's not blurry. It's bokeh.

Canon EOS 1D Mark IV
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Canon EOS 1D Mark III
    Canon 24-70mm EF f/2.8L
    Canon 24-105mm EF f/4L IS
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS
    Canon 17-40mm EF f/4L
    Canon 15mm F/2.8 EF Fisheye Lens
    Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
    Canon 50mm f/1.8
    Canon 600EX-RT Speedlite
    Canon 580EX Speedlite
    Canon EOS Rebel 300D

Ok, well the place to complain to is right here in Indianapolis. Schools using the new rule are playing under the rules of the National Federation of High Schools which is based right here. Below is a link to their website.

http://www.nfhs.org/

JS
    Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

Thread Information