Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

My latest racing shots

This will also be probably one of the last I'll be shooting with my XT.
    I just bought the 40D and will be shooting it for the 1st time next week !
    My Xt Ill still use for a back up as well as for my smaller lenses so I dont have to change in the field . Im having alot of snsor issues, so it was time to invest in something new.

Here is a few of my recent shots taken with my Rebel XT.
    I dont get to pop in too often as I am always on the go with travel and now shooting some exclusive stuff this year! VERY excited about that!

Re: My latest racing shots

Great pictures

Hey Quad, I have an ATV event coming up to shoot on April 5th. It is all trails through the woods...mud pits....etc....I haven't ever done this, and not sure how to go about betting positioned, for the great shots, and so I don't get pelted with mud...( worried more about my camera than me).....I am sure there will be someone there that will take me around on their ATV to different areas....but I am looking for any suggestions I can get....

Thanks
    BFiredup
    "The new girl on the block! :blush2: "
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 75-300 f/4-5.6III
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

Moderator of Critiques/Hearder of Cats mtbbrian's Avatar

WOW!
    You certainly have a lot, it's a little overwhelming to comment on them.
    There are a few really good ones there.
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...
    高手
    My Moderator Bio Page...
    Nikon Samurai #2 - Emeritus
    See more of my photography here...

“A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed, and is, thereby, a true manifestation of what one feels about life in its entirety...” - Ansel Adams

"Photography Is An Act Of Life" - Maine 2006

Quote Originally Posted by BFiredup
    Hey Quad, I have an ATV event coming up to shoot on April 5th. It is all trails through the woods...mud pits....etc....I haven't ever done this, and not sure how to go about betting positioned, for the great shots, and so I don't get pelted with mud...( worried more about my camera than me).....I am sure there will be someone there that will take me around on their ATV to different areas....but I am looking for any suggestions I can get....

Thanks
    COOL!!
    I know a guy whos from Virginia thats an outstanding photographer, maybe he will be there to lend a hand!!
    That sa hard question to answer actually.. I am one that probably tends to get a little TOO close sometimes,actually aot. lol That is one reason Im probably having malfuntions with my XT. Its been threw ALOT of dirt and sand .
    One thing I can suggest is make sure you bring a flash or depending on what your shooting for( selling to any mags or contracting with the promoter) maybe some strobes. This is something next season . I was reccomened getting them ot stop all the red eye I get .Im still learning my flash-so much to learn!
    Have you shot much racing with your camera yet?

mtbbrian- I dont get to post very often since Im always on the go,so I figured Id throw up all my recent faves before I leave again tomorrow,so I made up for lost time. LOL.

Well this is a charity event, and we are putting it on down on a farm we own. We have had responses from all over Va. and a few groups from Maryland. This club in Maryland has it posted on their website under upcoming events. United Riders ATV club
    I don't think there will be any professional photographers there, although I would love to get with some....and learn something...but I think I am going to try and keep my distance, and use a lot of Zoom....since there are a lot of mud pits....deep ones.....LOL...

But thanks for the response....I am excited about doing it, so we will see how it goes...
    BFiredup
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

wannabe

Nice pics as a fellow quad racer yup I raced MX and TT 4 years ago and I miss it. thanks alot for bringing back memories.lol But how come no YFZ450's? Thats what I raced. I plan to go the track and take pics of my buddies.
    D700
    85mm 1.8 D
    24-70 2.8 ED
    70-200 2.8 ED VRII
    2xSB900
    Elinchrom Ranger RX 1100watt heads.

http://dustindraperphotography.com/

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Great images!

Your colors have a nice pop to them, and the compositions are great as well.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Quote Originally Posted by racedraper
    Nice pics as a fellow quad racer yup I raced MX and TT 4 years ago and I miss it. thanks alot for bringing back memories.lol But how come no YFZ450's? Thats what I raced. I plan to go the track and take pics of my buddies.
    Good times!
    MY whole family races ATV's, I quit racing myself a few years ago and decided to be a supported track Mom and help manage my kids racing . MY Husbandd still races A 30+ Class in the WORCS series and local Pro. It just got too expensice for all 4 of us, so this keeps me close to what I love .
    Actually, alot of riders have moved to who supports there riders this season and Yamaha and Honda are not as huge in factory support this year as Can-Am and Kawasaki is year.
    There is huge backings this year,even in the Youth . MY kids are on one 1st mini atv factory backed ATV this year and its great to see so much interest in Youth as well as amatuer racing now .There are still quite a few riders, just not as many Pros,but the ones that are still racing the YFZ are very FAST!!
    I travel the WORCS series primarily and shoot locally .I too miss racing, I raced flattrack for 4 years myself and a little MX.I raced Mens and Womens class.

BFiredup-The guy I work with is from Maryland and travels all over the US shooting races. Maybe you have heard of atvriders.com?? Thats where I post my Coverage , me and my Husband also cover the video as well.
    Speaking of mud... We have hit alot over the past year. We raced in Phoenix in Jan. and had 6 inches of rain in 12 hours! It was insane to say the least! We lost all our video Coverage from the moisture .
    This here is a photo I took in another mud fest. I jumped on a hail bail-then RAN! LOL!
    This is probably one of my favorite photos Ive ever shot. This Pro rider made history on this race and I captured some grueling racing conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonkey
    Great images!

Your colors have a nice pop to them, and the compositions are great as well.
    Thanks!
    I noticed your from San Jose... I think I will be in your area in May,or at least I think.
    Is Hollister near you?

Excellent shots, always good to see some more MX stuff on here. It really must have been a while since you've posted; the 4th photo, rider #222, is riding a 250 2 stroke?! Haha
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Awsome shot....but I won't be jumping in front of them when they are going through the mud pit...LOL...the riders themselves usually end up with their feet up on the seat, half way standing up to get through...so if I jump in front, I would be up to my neck...LOL...

But I love that last picture....just awsome...
    BFiredup
    Canon 40D
    Canon Rebel 300D
    70-200mm USM IS f/2.8L
    EFS 18-55 Kit lens
    Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 USM
    Epson Stylus 1800

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by QuadJunkies
    Thanks!
    I noticed your from San Jose... I think I will be in your area in May,or at least I think.
    Is Hollister near you?
    Its about an hour away or so. Is there a race coming to town? If so, I might have to join ya
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Nice! That would be a good one for a magazine there

JS

Quote Originally Posted by QuadJunkies
    Good times!
    MY whole family races ATV's, I quit racing myself a few years ago and decided to be a supported track Mom and help manage my kids racing . MY Husbandd still races A 30+ Class in the WORCS series and local Pro. It just got too expensice for all 4 of us, so this keeps me close to what I love .

Canon 1D
    Canon 1D MK II N
    Canon 70-200mm USM IS f2.8
    Canon 200mm f1.8 USM
    Canon 300mm f2.8 USM IS
    Canon 28-300mm USM IS f3.5-5.6
    Canon 50mm f1.8
    Vivitar 19-35mm f3.5-5.6

That one actually did get in one
    MY 1st one too!
    jorgemonkey,the event is May16-17th-you should come!

Thread Information