Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>

Thread: MX Racing

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

MX Racing

Well I decided to expand my sports horizon and I went out and shot a small MX race near my hometown. I ended up having a blast even though I was in the sun for 4 hours straight in 85-90 degree heat. I looooove water & sunscreen!

Well the cool thing about the race was they had a professional photog there, and he gave me his card and expressed an interest in seeing my images and if he likes them his company may (hopefully!!) hire me as one of their freelance photographers! That gave me an extra boost to get good shots.

Like my last few outings, I've gone out with a goal to try new things. I've been learning about shooting in manual with manual flash, and going to non-paid events like these give me a chance to practice what I've learned without really any pressure to get great results. Unlike last time I shot in manual mode, it was much easier for me to get my shutter, apeture, & flash power balanced to get the correct exposure. Here are a few examples, more on my site. Most of these images have just been resized & slightly sharpened, other than they are straight out of the camera.

All shot with either a Nikon D70 w/SB-600 and a D1h w/SB-800, and I was swapping a Sigma 28-70 F2.8 lens and a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 lens between cameras

These guys knew I was shooting, and wave or spray some dirt on me while they were smiling of course

Stupid cone, it got in my way...
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

The one - The only

Re: MX Racing

I'm not much of an MX fan, but I think your shots are pretty good. I like your MTB photo's better, but that could just be becuase MTB appeals more to me.

Sounds like may have just gotten yourself discovered! Good Luck!

I do have one question for you though. It sounds like to carried two bodies, but said you were changing the lenses between the two. Why? Or maybe, I misread and you kept changing cameras for shots.

--Dave
    Dave
    My SportsShooter Page
    My Gallery

Canon Digital Gear

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Thanks! It was my first time shooting MX and so I shot it the same way I shoot MTB.

I was doing both. For the most part I had the 70-200 mounted on my D1h since the autofocus is SOOO much faster. I try to use that one for the action shots, while using the D70 for more of the closeups of people or whatever, but sometimes (like with the panning shots) I want the autofocus of the D1h, so I'll put the 28-70 on it.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Thanks! It was my first time shooting MX and so I shot it the same way I shoot MTB.
    Knowing the sport is important in getting the right position for good photos.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Thread Information