Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    Stop Or I'll Shoot Photography Lori11's Avatar

Muscle to Elegance

I took these today, I have a few more but Im just to tired to go through them.The sun finally came out eventually and I tried what Paul suggested and I love the results! Hope you do too
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Muscle to Elegance-dodger.jpg   Muscle to Elegance-redr.jpg  
    Last edited by Lori11; 04-07-2008 at 06:16 AM.

Re: Muscle to Elegance

Looks like you nailed the pan on the first one Lori, and a cool car at that - is that a Duster? The second shot doesn't look quite as good, it's hard to tell but it looks like your pan had a little vertical movement to it (rather than following the cars perfectly horizontal).

On a side note, I could be wrong, but that looks like a very bad Ferrari fake!
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye
    Lighting: Canon 430 EXII, Quantaray PZ-1 DSZ, Sunpak 333D, D-8P triggers
    120 Film: Ricohflex Diacord TLR, Firstflex TLR, Zeiss Ikon Nettar 515/2 folder
    35mm Film: Nikon Nikkormat FT2, 35mm F/2.8, 50mm F/1.4, 135mm F/2.8

My Blog
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/bradleymiller

Must be the shot, the Ferrari was/is real lol I was trying different settings, I stink at panning when I am trying to do it on purpose lol

Looking good Lori ! and congrats on Photo of the week!
    Here is what I see, I have seen the same in my own shots. I am hoping Smartwombat can explain? on your top shot from the rear view mirror back to about the vertical stripes is very clear.The front of the car is oof. I understand the nose of the car could be going through a transition phase, like it could be getting ready for a right hand turn?
    Jimmy B

Oops, my bad on the Ferrari. I don't know some of the older models quite as well... the angle of that shot makes it look odd.

Jimmy / Lori - I think part of the problem with the look of the photos is the resizing program. You can see the problem in the grill with the first one, and the same issue is present in the second one on the Ferrari's left front tire.

Lori - when you scale down the images, make sure you select "resample" or select a "filter" like Lanczos. I don't know what program you're using, but if you need one, Google "Irfanview" for a good, free basic image editor that can do batch resizing.
    Brad

Canon: Rebel XTi, 70-200 F/4L, 50mm F/1.8 II, Promaster 19-35mm F/3.5-4.5, Peleng 8mm fisheye

My Blog

Thanks Jimmy! You are close, the cars just came out of a kink and hit the back straight so I get them on A-cel with a shift. I will keep trying

Brad thanks also, I have and use irfanview but I was not using "resample" I dont have photoshop either so editing anything is a challange! Thanks for the help I will try that!

Lori, pick up PSE 6.0 under $100.00 you can't beat it. I look at my shots in canon's Zoom Browser and PP in elements.
    JB

Great, thanks! I guess I need to download my Canon software huh? LOL

Lori - I'm also without Photoshop. Canon's DPP software (supplied w/ my XTi) is a pretty good tool for most of your typical needs.

Irfanview is great for batch resizing and a good, simple program to use. On my version, when the "Resize/Resample" box comes up, look in the bottom right corner. You'll see an option for "Resize (fastest)" and "Resample (better quality)." Choose the resample and select the Lanczos filter. That should take the jagged lines out of your smaller pictures.
    Brad

My Blog

Ok great, I will try that, and post one and I will load the software, I'm sure its the same, I have a 30D, and it seems I am always trying some photo program, I need to find 2 I like (ok, maybe 3?) and leave it at that. Maybe PS will be in my near future lol
    (Im glad to know I am not the only one without it!)

Thread Information