Sports Photography Forum

Share your sports photos and discuss sports photography techniques and issues. This forum is moderated by SmartWombat.
Featured Photo
Photo by Tumber

by Tumber
Featured Photo Archive >>
    If you saw it, you didn't get it. tadrscin's Avatar

Mtn biking with a twist

Ok so I wanted to try something different. I wanted to try zooming in while a rider was coming towards me using a slower shutter speed for a different effect. After a few test shots I decided that 1/6th of a second with a moderately fast zoom would get what I wanted. Unfortunately I didn't have a lot of time to work on this due to the impending rain. I was using my flashes off-camera so I lost the ability to use 2nd curtain sync which I really wanted. I think I need to get a flash bracket and try it again with my 430 so I can get the 2nd curtain sync. Here's the best one, but as you can see I didn't get the rider centered in the frame so the zoom effect isn't centered on her like I wanted. In order to do this I had to switch to manual focus and hold the camera so it would be where the rider would end up. I couldn't move the camera as I didn't want to pan at all. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can do this better I certainly like to hear them.

Last edited by tadrscin; 10-02-2007 at 09:59 AM.
    Ray
    --
    I race down mountains on a bike and I take photographs, but never both at the same time :nono:

Feel free to edit any of my photos as long as you explain in detail what you did.

My Gear
    Canon 7D
    Some L glass.
    Flashes, Radio Poppers, etc.
    My Gallery
    My Life

Thread Information